Im wondering...maybe the GB are truly mentally damaged, not just deceivers.

by sowhatnow 22 Replies latest watchtower medical

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Mental illness has a genetic component. It's not a given that you'll get it, though. It's more like a vulnerability.

Usually, it takes a stressor to trigger it. Living the JW lifestyle can definitely trigger it. Being disfellowshipped is an extreme stressor that causes extreme stress even to those not genetically vulnerable.

In my case, there is a definite family history of mental illness. This is in nonJW family so there appears to be a genuine genetic component.

I started suffering depressive symptoms at about age 15. I was stressed out about the JW lifestyle, though still confused about it being the truth. My mom suffered depressive symptoms as well and was difficult to live with. All these things were stressors. To my mom's credit, she did talk to the doctor, but I was not diagnosed.

I was disfellowshipped at 18 and went throufh a suicidal depression. I did not go to the doctor at that time, but after being reinstated and moving out on my own, I did go to the doctor and get diagnosed with depression. I was put on medication and did well until I had my son. The physical stress of a difficult pregnancy and post-partum period with all the hormonal changes was more of a stressor than my body could handle. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, Postpartum Onset.

I was hospitalized at that time and again a year later. I've been on a good medication regimen and have for the most part been functional for the last dozen or so years, though I do have some occasional difficulties.

The problem is my mother just blames it all on genetics. It's obvious, personally that the JW lifestyle was a big contributing factor, especially being disfellowshipped. That was the end of my being able to function without medication.

If I had had a different upbringing would I have avoided bipolar disorder? Maybe. There is no guarantee that I wouldn't have had any other stress and, indeed, it was the stress of having a child that really pushed me over the edge. But, I know, personally that having a different, more healthy upbringing would have been one less stressor and I would've had a much better chance of avoiding the most extreme expression of my genetic propensity.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Maybe by tweaking(medicine) the GB nerve cell circuits or pathways that connect

particular brain regions may help them to come to their senses. But if

you ask me they are as nutty as a fruit cake.

Anyone believe that they have a direct line of communication with God (no one has

heard from him since Jesus), are nuts. The moment they were told, Jehovah wants you for

a GB member their brain went to the dark side, it was too much power and their brain short circuit.

• zeb
    zeb

None of the gb have kids.

nor do they have to face the daily grind of traffic,

work, employers, employees,

they don't have to get along with anyone who disagrees with them; they evict them! (refer to "The Gentile Times Revisited" et al)

schedules,

work loads,

house maintenance or a mortgage in such financially perilous times.

I understand that even their personal house keeping is done for them. shit! talk about living in La-la land.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    sowhatnow 7 hours ago
    well my topic wasnt actuallly about them only, i was asking about in general the likelyhood of many youg people being mentally damaged, has anyone actually read my post?

I read your post.

Did you read the link I posted?

From the page, as a summary:

Despite a lack of reliable scientific studies, there is consistent indication of high levels of mental illness amongst Jehovah's Witnesses.

There are a number of reasons why this could be the case - isolation from general society, an unrealistic view of the world and the destructive nature of the threat of disfellowshipping.

Total reliance on a leadership that claim angelic direction, yet have a string of failed prophecies and doctrines, leads members to fear the religion may be wrong but fear leaving, leading to cognitive dissonance. Those that do leave are often inadequately prepared for life and lack a support group that would normally be developed in a healthy upbringing. Additionally, people with mental illness can be attracted to religious groups and the loving brotherhood that they promise.

www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/mental-issues.php

• oppostate
    oppostate

Very thought provoking article.

The WT religion thrives on mental manipulation. There so much manipulating you can do before the damage starts to show. It's like bending a piece of wire back and forth, back and forth, it gets overheated and snaps.

There would be a lot more snapping JW minds if not for modern anti-depressants.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Oppostate love that analogy of the bending wire snapping...in my minds eye all witnesses are like this, the stress damage is there though not always visible
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

They know it's wrong...

...but genuinely "believe" it's "true"...

...at the same time.

It's called "compartmentalization" (most successful career politicans do it as easily as breathing), and IMO, it's the only explanation that fits the (admittedly anecdotal) evidence.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You can describe psychopathic power driven men as being mentally damaged but toward their own self serving addiction.

There may be established delusional identities with these men but that's mostly unsurprising given their position and perception of power within the organization as it were.

Here are some other people who were disengaged and delusionally drunk on power and control.

• freddo
    freddo
    Actually zeb, Morris the turd has sons. He crowed in an article about his life that they "make me look good" - which is of course all that GBTV and GBdotorgasm is all about in the same way as a whitewashed grave "looks good".
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

I know many want to hate and think the GB are villains but that simply isn't an accurate characterization in my opinion.

Are they aware that their decisions are at times dangerous, may even cause loss of life yes I believe their consciences get tested. I wouldn't argue that.

However what I think it comes down to is what Ray Franz said. They are victims of victims. The "ideal" of the organization is like an organism. It just keeps growing. It has become so big that even the GB have been blinded by the idea of it all that they buy into waiting on Jah and don't bring reproach and I really am being directed by God.

They mistake things that happen in life as proof of this direction ironically in the same manner they say others mistake themselves as anointed.

I honestly believe this. Could their be some that are just evil or out to live a cush life on a pedestal? Sure but I doubt it.

They've literally sold themselves on the idea of what the organization is so much so that the reality has little chance of permeating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit