My take upon reading CoC for the 1st time

by nowwhat? 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Wow! the GB. 1.0 demanded absolute loyalty back then too. The great bethel apostate conspiracy consisted of a few faithful long time brothers that were involved in writing some of the publications had reservations about some of the teachings the GB were promoting such as who Jesus was mediator for. And I forgot about this one. That you could be df'ed for apostasy just for having contrary beliefs and not promoting them! I used to think that the old gb were these kind humble sincere old men. But were just as pharisaical and totalitarian as these new guys. How many brothers got raped and beaten in prison because they weren't allowed to do alternative service. And Malawi, the gb could have easily said the required political card was really just a citizen id card instead, and save the brutality the brothers and sisters endured. They are just as bad as the popes in the middle ages!

• Magnum
    Magnum
    I used to think that the old gb were these kind humble sincere old men.

I did, too.

• flipper
    flipper

NOWHAT ? - " The GB could have easily said required political card was really just a citizen id card instead, and save the brutality the brothers and sisters endured " .

This is one reason ( among many reasons including JW's dying from refusing blood transfusions ) that I continue to say and claim that leaders of the WT Society need to be indicted and brought up on criminal charges of murder, crimes against humanity, and need to be shut down by the governments for being subversive as thousands of JW members have died, committed suicide from being shunned, been killed needlessly by giving their lives for this money grubbing corporate cult the WT Society - so that it's 139 year existence can keep going.

It's time for karma to come around and bite WT leaders in the ass

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the original GB were clearly worse, there were too many of them and they had the evil Jaracz ruling all those years, although I dont see many changes with this new group

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

In my opinion, none of the GB members since Ray Franz has shown evidence of any intelligence. They are all followers of the concept. Their only qualification is that they have the audacity to claim they are anointed.

Before that, both Fred Franz and Knorr seemed intelligent, Knorr in an organizational way, Fred in a misguided bookish sort of way.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

Simply stunning book on second read with additional material. Raymond Franz makes some very shocking observations throughout. The way that elders etc submitted personal intimate details of their and other's married lives to the GB for examination and opinions were shocking. This book shatters any illusions of the society being ' chosen' by God... Creek and Paddle come to mind.....

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

What FLipper said above, especially the blood issue, playing with peoples lives having them believe Jehovah said in the bible that you shouldn't take blood, but now you can take blood fractions. They should be locked up and shut down for that issue alone. Many have died for no reason just because seven old guys in Brooklyn had them believe they would be disappointing Almighty Jah.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Make no mistake about it the WTS/JWS religion is a noteworthy socialized human behavior full of corruption, exploitation and manipulation by a few endeavoring men who sought power and wealth, with emphasis on power.

How a single turn of the century charlatan known as C T Russell with his weakly assembled and supported theology started a religious organization which today as cultivated billions in dollars worth of assets and 8 million faithfully devoted followers.

• freddo
    freddo

Please don't take this the wrong way but I believe America is behind the curve when it comes to calling fundamentalist and stricter "Christian" religions to account.

Mind you the whole of the west seems to be happy to let them have charitable status way too easily.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Yes the WTBTS were ass holes from the very beginning.

The Douglas Walsh Trial 1954. The Watchtower under oath.

............ The questions put to representatives of the Watchtower Society were to establish the beliefs and practices of Jehovah's Witnesses for the Court.

HAYDEN C COVINGTON - Former Lawyer for the Watchtower Society

It was promulgated as a matter which must be believed by all members of Jehovah's witnesses that the Lord's Second Coming took place in 1874?

(A short discussion of evidence given by Fred W Franz about 1874 takes place here.)

Q. That was the publication of false prophecy?
    A. That was the publication of a false prophecy, it was a false statement or an erroneous statement in fulfillment of a prophecy that was false or erroneous.Q. And that had to be believed by the whole of Jehovah's Witnesses?
    A. Yes, because you must understand, we must have unity, we cannot have disunity with a lot of people going every way, an army is supposed to march in step.
    Q. Back to the point now, a false prophecy was promulgated? A. I agree to that.Q. It had to be accepted by Jehovah's witnesses?
    A. That is correct.Q. If a member of Jehovah's witnesses took the view himself that that prophecy was wrong, and said so, would he be disfellowshipped?
    A. Yes, if he said so, and kept on persisting in creating trouble, because if the whole organisation believes one thing, even though it be erroneous, and somebody else starts on his own trying to put his ideas across, then there is a disunity and trouble, there cannot be harmony, there cannot be marching ...... Our purpose is to have unity. Q. Unity at all costs?
    A. Unity at all costs, because we believe and are sure that Jehovah God is using our organisation,the governing body of our organisation, to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time. Q. A unity based on an enforced acceptance of false prophecy? A. That is conceded to be true.
    Q. And the person who expresses his view, as you say, that it was wrong, and was disfellowshipped, would be in breach of the covenant, if he was baptised?
    A. That is correct.Q. And as you said yesterday expressly, would be worthy of death?
    A. I think....
    Q. Would you say yes or no?
    A. I will answer yes, unhesitatingly.Q. Do you call that religion?
    A. It certainly is.Q. Do you call that Christianity?
    A. I certainly do.

PP. 345-348

FREDERICK W FRANZ (President 1978 - 1999 )

Q. Can you tell me this; are these theological publications and semi-monthly periodicals used for discussion or statements of doctrine?
    A. Yes.
    Q. Are these statements held to be authoritative?
    A. Yes.
    Q. Is their acceptance a matter of choice,or is it obligatory on all those who wish to be and remain members of the Society?

A. It is obligatory.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit