1984 movie, Similar to WT land.

by dropoffyourkeylee 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Wow, if you have the time, watch this movie of Orwell's 1984. It was made in the '50s, so its a little hokey, but wow the similarities are scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mj08HnCiCA

• PhilosophicalLogic
    PhilosophicalLogic

I read the book 1984, and noticed its strong emphasis on mind control and the control of historical memory. That does sound a lot like what I’m learning about the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Is there anything else in particular about the film that reminded you of the JWs?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Language. George Orwell clearly understood that if you gave new meanings to old words, or created new words with special meanings, then you could control how people thought. One of the characters explicitly states that when language is fully under the control of the party it will literally be impossible to frame an argument against it. Words such as "freedom" will have lost all meaning. The WTBS was well on its way to realizing this when the internet came along. I think it may be impossible to do that now.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

words like

the truth

kingdom

new system

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

PL, I had to laugh out loud when they asked him, "What do you do here?" and he replied "I revise history"

about at 20:40 in the movie

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

1984...... probably my favourite modern book , due to the way that I can relate it to my WT experiences. Once you know the "truth about the Truth " the similarities are readily apparent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit