Going to Amsterdam!!

by In_between_days 11 Replies latest jw friends

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

My husband and myself have decided to go to Amsterdam for 10 days in December for the New Year. Is anyone on this board from Amsterdam, or anywhere in the Denmark area? I need some suggestions on some cool places to go.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Thats great !

Amsterdam is a great place. It's also very strange ! Plenty of churhces, people claiming to be Christian etc.

I remember the story of a Dutch explorer that hailed from Amsterdam. He discovered New Zealand, Fiji, Tazmania etc, and this is the funniest bit ; he MISSED Australia. How could he possibly miss it ?

Well I will just sail around here, have a smoke, there goes a big Island, no matter, have another smoke

Dutch people are fairly laid back ! I think you will have a great time, and in December the atmosphere is great ! One bad thing, it's full of Dutch !!!!!

• cynicus
    cynicus

Just give me a shout. However, you may want to lookup both "Amsterdam" and "Denmark" on a map of Europe before you actually go.

(c)

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

*Slaps Hamas*

One bad thing, it's full of Dutch !!!!!

Don't you know never to piss off a District Overbeer?

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• Hamas
    Hamas

ooow.

...sorry hun

That taught me not to ask for anything other than Heinekken

• Robdar
    Robdar

That taught me not to ask for anything other than Heinekken

Hamas, how about asking for an Amstel? Great beer and it helps cut the cold wind that blows in from the North Sea.

IBD, I love Amsterdam. Holland is a fantastic country and the Dutch are the coolest people on earth--along with the British.

Here's a link that may help you:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/europe/netherlands/

If you like to party, be prepared to throw it down in Amsterdam. From funky little shops, to coffee houses, where you can buy pot and smoke a fat one, to museums. Make sure you check out the museums for Van Gough and Rembrandt among others.

One warning though: Make sure you understand the currency and count your change after transactions. Of all the places I have visited, the Dutch were the most willing to short change me. Also check your hotel bill to make sure that extra charges weren't placed on it. When I was last there, the guilder was the currency. Now it has changed to the Euro and the currency exchange is fairly easy to remember for Americans oops, Aussies traveling abroad. Here is a currency converter for you to look at:

http://www.xe.net/ucc/

Have fun and don't forget tell us all about it. I am soooooo envious, btw.

Bon voyage,

Robyn

PS to Cynicus. You said: Just give me a shout. However, you may want to lookup both "Amsterdam" and "Denmark" on a map of Europe before you actually go.

Always a good ides...LOL.... But maybe she is saying that she is going to visit both places and wants to find friends in both countries?

• cynicus
    cynicus
    PS to Cynicus. You said: Just give me a shout. However, you may want to lookup both "Amsterdam" and "Denmark" on a map of Europe before you actually go.

Always a good ides...LOL.... But maybe she is saying that she is going to visit both places and wants to find friends in both countries?

It's a common misunderstanding that Amsterdam is the capital of Denmark in large parts of North-America and apparently down under as well. If you really want to visit both Amsterdam and Copenhagen (the rest of Denmark is utterly uninteresting, like the rest of Holland) you still need the Danish 'funny' money though, provided you're interested in buying anything from them Danes.

(c)

• fulano
    fulano

Hello,

I live 30 minutes from Amsterdam and know it well, como and visit me!

email at: [email protected] Greetzz

• In_between_days
    In_between_days
    .... But maybe she is saying that she is going to visit both places and wants to find friends in both countries?

um... no. I thought the other thing. It was a surprise impulsive decision from my husband, we are meeting friends who are staying there. I have always thought that Amsterdam was the capital of Denmark, but hey, how many of you non - Australians know what the capital of Australia is?

• Robdar
    Robdar

IBD,

Would the answer be Canberra? I also believe that Australia has 6 states: Queensland, NSW, Victoria, South Australia, West Australia, Tazmania. Am I correct?

Rob

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit