Aspergers Syndrome

by refiners fire 33 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

My son has it and behaves like Mulan's boy. It's more common in boys and no, it's not normal.

• billie jean
    billie jean

My son has Aspergers syndrome.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Common does not = normal.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I have to wonder what % of people meet these criteria, I would think it's a very, very large #

• Scully
    Scully

Some of the traits mentioned seem to be very typical of JWs, at least the literature reinforces behaviour that more or less mimics Asperger's traits.

It would be interesting to know whether Freddie had undiagnosed Asperger's, and assimilated his abnormal behaviours (and compensations for those abnormal behaviours) into the expected behaviour code for JWs.

GILLBERG'S CRITERIA FOR ASPERGER'S DISORDER

1.Severe impairment in reciprocal social interaction
    (at least two of the following)
    (a) inability to interact with peers
    (b) lack of desire to interact with peers
    (c) lack of appreciation of social cues
    (d) socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior

2.All-absorbing narrow interest
    (at least one of the following)
    (a) exclusion of other activities
    (b) repetitive adherence
    (c) more rote than meaning

3.Imposition of routines and interests
    (a) on self, in aspects of life
    (b) on others

4.Speech and language problems
    (at least three of the following)
    (a) delayed development
    (b) superficially perfect expressive language
    (c) formal, pedantic language
    (d) odd prosody, peculiar voice characteristics - if anyone has ever heard Freddie in person, you know he had this trait
    (e) impairment of comprehension including misinterpretations of literal/implied meanings

5.Non-verbal communication problems
    (a) limited use of gestures- I'm thinking this might be behind the TMS public speaking training....
    (b) clumsy/gauche body language
    (c) limited facial expression
    (d) inappropriate expression
    (e) peculiar, stiff gaze

6.Motor clumsiness: poor performance on neurodevelopmental examination

(All six criteria must be met for confirmation of diagnosis.)

• wobble
    wobble

Dear Scully,

I think you may be on to something,it all fits with the way Ray franz describes his Uncle's attitudes and actions.

just think,the modern day Witless Org has evolved directly from an Org dominated by someone with A.S, explains so so much !

love

Wobble

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The limited facial expressions is what drives my therapist crazy. She can't "read" me.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

that's gotta be tough, wha. I find it tough when anyone goes crazy, whether it's me, or someone dealing with me. My moods don't like that insecurity.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I got through my teens by mimicing behavior. At 45 I probably have a social maturity level of a 25 year old. It works for now. My spatial and number skills do scare people sometimes. Yea definately.

There is a brother in my old cong that was much less functional than me, and way more math heavy. Tell him your birth date and he will tell u the day. Statistics oh my. I felt bad for him as his quirkiness alienated him from everyone

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

mimicking can be great, if people appreciate those of us who do that. Sometimes I'm a stand-up comedian. Sometimes I just stand up, while the rest stay seated. I leave that way, and we all rest in peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit