Getting personal data erased

by Damascus 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Damascus
    Damascus

Request for personal data erasure under gdpr refused on clause which says religious organisations can keep records. The following is in their privacy policy:

Upon receipt of your written request, after you provide sufficient evidence of your identity and enough information to permit us to identify your personal data, the applicable data controller will fairly consider granting the request by balancing the interests of the individual in gaining access to data or correcting or deleting data against the legitimate interests of the organization, including whether granting the request would endanger the organization’s right to religious freedom and practice. We will also notify any third-party recipients of the necessary changes.

Please note that your data may not be erased if processing is required by law or if the data may be kept on other legal bases. For example, the religious organization has an interest in permanently maintaining data regarding an individual’s status as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Deleting such information would unduly infringe on the organization’s religious beliefs and practices. Requests to delete personal data are subject to any applicable legal reporting or document retention requirements imposed on us. You may also lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority about the processing of the data you have provided through this website.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

"by balancing the interests of the individual in gaining access to data or correcting or deleting data against the legitimate interests of the organization.."

You can bet on the org agreeing to a lot of individuals' requests to delete data - due to it being in the org's "legitimate interests" to do so.

• Damascus
    Damascus

I hope so but the branch is refusing my request as they say they need the data to ensure 'they keep the congregation clean' Be interesting to see if they use this for everyone or just a few.

• George One Time
    George One Time

So Damascus, you got a written reply from them? You are not under European law, are you? Otherwise they have a big problem in court, I guess.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well, I have submitted an official legal request for my data to be handed over in its entirety. They have 30 days to comply according to the laws of my country....

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    For example, the religious organization has an interest in permanently maintaining data regarding an individual’s status as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Deleting such information would unduly infringe on the organization’s religious beliefs and practices.

This is what you could contend, which is, that what they need is only the information necessary to establish your status with them. They don't need all your data for them to know that you are no longer a JW (or that you are, for that matter).

This is why that religious exception nonsense should not be allowed. Of course, many people like those exceptions when it comes to discriminating against those they don't like, but then complain when it impacts them.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

@stuckinarut2,,,,, are you in Oz? I am and am thinking of doing exactly the same but am uncertain of the law requirements down here.

jtg

• Damascus
    Damascus

I'm in UK and religious organisations have more get out rules it seems. they refused to erase the data

• Splash
    Splash

It will come down to whether the org would prefer to delete any of your data or not.

Anything incriminating against them and it'll go. Everything else they'll keep.

It doesn't really matter what the law requires, JW's aren't bound by such trivialities.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

What a farce. Did you really think some law would make it as if you never existed to the org? More fantasy land nonsense. Its ok just relax, slim says they are folding annnnnyyyyyy second now...

just fade away and it dosent matter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit