Higher Education - is it really the end of the WT?

by OutsiderLookingIn 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Higher education is the bane to most religious groups based from the fact of people learning information that these religious cults don't want their members to learn and possibly even know about.

In short its a threat to their membership,  their power and control.

The WTS has always demeaned higher education, describing it a redundant waste of time, since the knowledge gained there will become useless in the new system of things when Jesus Christ will have control over the earth.

Or in the words, put out by GB Gerrit Locsh ..... " pursuing higher education is like putting a gun to your head and playing Russian Roulette."

Overall it has to realized that extenuating education increased through a higher percentage of the population has been detrimental to all religions. Religious beliefs based from ancient mythology become accepted as fiction drawn out from human ignorance expressed though their own inherit intent and purpose.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Knowledge is power, guard it well

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I believe that in the long run education probably will be the end of the religion.

As others have said, there are some educated or professional people in the Witness religion. However, they are probably there for family.

Those few educated JWs that are hanging in there, along with any others with decent jobs, are going to be targeted to give money. I know I would never tolerate this and when these more affluent JWs get sick and tired of being viewed as ATM machines, they're going to get out of there as well.

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn
    Thanks for all the insight. I know it's anecdotal, but given my limited exposure to JWs, I was so surprised to hear the reality is the exact opposite of my own experience.
  • Lieu
    Lieu

If you recall that most of the originals were college educated .... it kinda boggles the mind how much they deride it.

Of course, a standard k-12 education tends to make one easier to control.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Gerritt Losche - "...pursuing higher education is like putting a gun to your head and playing Russian Roulette."

Spoken like a True Believer...

...who can't conceive that the Org's continued durability may actually be dependent on the income directly derived from "higher education".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit