Jehovah's Witnesses Do Not Believe in Freedom of Religion

by xjwsrock 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SPARROWDOWN:

I never saw one either and wonder if it's because they are afraid of them OR if they admire the extreme control and Old Testament type thinking.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

JWs believe that everyone has the freedom to refuse "Da Troof" and die.

DD

• smiddy
    smiddy

Jehovah`s Witnesses are very bold in insisting freedom of religion in the lands that Christendom has already made inroads in , however they are very quite about trying to make any headway in predominantly Muslim countries even after 100+ years of Jesus Christ rule .

How can they say they have fullfilled Jesus Christ commission to make disciples of people in all the world /nations when they ignore the lands dominated by Islam , a religion that has roots in the Bible , recognising the prophet Abraham and his teachings , with over 1.5 Billion adherents. ?

smiddy

• Landy
    Landy
    But the real proof that they actually DO NOT believe in a person's religious freedom is this: they do not allow a member to change religions or to formally stop practicing the religion without severe, abusive penalties.

That's true, but only because of the word 'formally'.

You have to take into account that most of the ones I know that don't go any more (including my family) haven't been disfellowshipped. They simply stopped going without any fuss.

I do take the general point of your post though.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Sparrowdown - After a day at an Elder's School during 2014 I had a discussion with fellow elders that were in attendance. The instructor spoke that day about Babylon the Great being destroyed and when Jehovah's people would become the target.

I simply said, to these elders, I wonder how destroying religion is going to work if entire governments are wrapped up in the religion, like for instance Islamic nations. I also asked them how many people practice Islam in the world? They reluctantly replied over a billion. I asked how did they think that would go over, taking the religion away from over a billion Muslims? The only reply was silence. A long awkward silence.

Landy - I agree that you can fade, or informally leave, but the points brought out during the ARC come to mind. Often a person or family is not left alone, especially if Christmas lights are seen on the house or that person is seen at a political rally etc. They pester people to death and often disfellowship in absentia. We all hope for lazy or fair-minded elders in the territories that we live in. Some aren't so lucky I'm afraid.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've mentioned this before...

...but the first time I ever read through the Wikipedia section on JWs (back when I was still in), I was stopped short by the statement that "...while JWs have often fought for freedom of religion in the courts, they do not practice it internally..." (paraphrasing, but that's the gist)...

...and I was dismayed to realize that while I may not have liked the statement, I certainly couldn't deny it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit