Confession of a German Widow

by Terry 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

CONFESSION OF A GERMAN WIDOW

Rosa Hoffberger would be late for Mass.
    It couldn’t be helped; cold weather set in and her movement was twice as difficult with arthritis.
    She hadn’t attended Mass since the bombing had ended months ago. Rosa hadn’t worried.
    She mumbled to herself as she trudged up the cathedral steps: “A confession before I pass means a state of grace with the Lord.”

Two long hours inside the church. She shifted her weight in the pew impatiently.
    Finally Rosa’s turn in the confessional booth with the priest!
    After preliminary recitations, she got down to business.

“Bless me, Father, for I have sinned.” She paused as though a weighty matter were oppressing her mind.

“Go ahead, my child,” Father Herrman urged.
    “What grave sin weighs upon your conscience this morning?”

The priest smiled to himself.
    Elder people in his village often amused him with their strange notions of what sin was in their daily lives.

The widow’s rustling dress fabric filled the silence of the Confessional. She cleared her raspy throat a few times and began a faltering narrative.

“I need to confess... and receive the blessing….
    Because … I never once brought anything up in confession before. About this - I mean...
    I’m having heart problems now and I don’t want to go to my grave unclean before our Lord.”

The old priest, Father Herrman, had known Rosa since before the Great War, when she was a small girl in the farming village outside Berlin. Her mind seemed often confused and her memory sometimes faltered.
    He would willingly bring peace to her few remaining days on earth.

“Go ahead, tell me what is troubling you.”

“Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I … I hid a refugee in my cellar."

“But that was not a sin, my child—it was noble. An act of compassion!”

“Father, I did not tell my husband.”

“I knew your husband. I understand. Such deception would be necessary. His views are well known.”

“I hid a young Rabbi… with considerable money. I made him pay me 50 marks a week!”

The priest rolled his eyes, "Well, I admit that certainly wasn't the most selfless thing to do, charging the man to save his life -- but you did save his life and that is a good thing. Such weaknesses God forgives."

Momentary silence passed and the priest could tell there was more to come.

“Is there anything else?”

Father Herrman listened as she continued clearing her throat. Hesitating …

“You have eased my mind, Father. There is but one more question. . .”

The priest waited patiently for a full minute.

He finally prompted her.
    "None of us is without sin, my child - you risked your life for one not of our faith. What else bothers you?”

“Yes, I know Father. But, you see, I—um . . .”

The priest suddenly threw up his hands with an insight which suggested itself to him.

“Emotions rise to the surface during war which otherwise are unthinkable. I knew your Otto, a difficult man—a cold personality. You will receive no judgment from this priest, I assure you!”

A long sigh heaved on the widow’s side of the screen.
    She suddenly seemed to grasp what Father Herrman was really saying.

“Oh no, Father! Nothing of the sort ever happened. Lord no! It’s nothing like that, I assure you. It’s just—I um . . . “

The patience of the old priest grew short.

“You have to confess and we’ll put it right in the eyes of our good Christ.”

“Rabbi paid me 50 marks every week. Throughout the war he never seemed to run short. Nor did he quibble in the least that I was charging him. In my defense, after all, I’m feeding him home cooked meals! He wasn’t made to suffer in the abominable camps like the rest of his lot.”

“Yes. True. Go on. . . “

The lady seemed to straighten; her voice was clear and filled with confident energy. She’d made her mind up.

“Thank you, Father. Since I’m a poor widow and all, I was wondering about all that. And asking your advice.”

Father Herrman cocked his head curiously. “Very well - what is it?”

“Is it okay if I wait until his money runs out -before- I tell the Rabbi the war has ended?”

The cathedral bells rang out over the hillside into the village.

Father Herrman swallowed hard.

He croaked. “Oh, my dear God!”

___The End___
    By Terry Edwin Walstrom Reforming the National Security State (updated) | The ...

• waton
    waton

The jewish people, the Einsteins, Goldbergs, Borns, were the smartest of all the German speakers. unlikely that a kraut would outsmart them.

There are no hillsides, Catholic villages with cathedrals near Berlin, Luther's country.

MAY BE THE GOOD RABBI WAS BLIND AND DEAF?

good try though! There was a German author Karl May, he wrote captivating stories about Cowboys and Indians, before he ever set foot in Nord Amerika, best sellers in the millions.

• Terry
    Terry

It wasn't until very late in life (probably due to Mel Gibson's inebriated rants) that I became aware of the virulent antisemitism of the Catholic Church historically. My grandmother was Catholic and I had no interest in the history of Catholicism until I became a JW in my teens. Even then, it was sufficient to accept WatchTower propaganda and go no further.
    This little story is based on a joke!
    I was experimenting with the idea of turning jokes into shocking stories by means of re-framing them.
    It does interest me how a-l-m-o-s-t any narrative can be hijacked with re-framing. A lesson for us all.

• waton
    waton

The daring nun who hid and saved 83 Jewish children

By Niamh Hughes

BBC News

• Terry
    Terry

Amazing report!

• waton
    waton

T: yes, French widows outperform those in Germany. (nuns are widows, since their husband J.C. died).

• Terry
    Terry

J.C. escapes alimony with his most remarkable vanishing ability.
    Serial matrimony: one hundred forty-four thousand brides!
    Rather makes one gasp.

• waton
    waton

"More than Solomon is here", indeed, by a ratio 1/ 144 .

Terry,I based my reply on an old "experience" by a CO in a catholic country, who in the hh work addressing a nun as "Miss" like demoiselle, was told, that the she was "married, to JC". so, he pulled out the Magazines, and said: " well, here then is a message from your husband".

• Terry
    Terry

Apropos of nothing ...
    Did you know a Priest who is kicked out of the church cannot have
    wrested away from him the "power" of transformation wherein the wafer turns to Christ's body and the wine becomes blood?
    I mean - of course - it's all balderdash but it struck me odd the Church has a mental adjustment weakness when it comes to kicking priests into the street and not being able to repossess the magic.
    Lunacy of the highest order.

• waton
    waton

wt has a wine thing too. They teach that drinking wine under the full spring moon will make you eligible to co - rule the universe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit