I no longer feel smart as a JW, I feel dumb...

by thedepressedsoul 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but I use to at least feel smart as a JW. When I went to Thursday night meetings, I at least felt like I was a student, that I was learning how to speak publicly, I could prepare my own comments, I could answer points that I learned from the weekly bible reading. I felt like at the door, a JW could put up a fight.

Anymore, I just feel like I'm being treated like an idiot, being a JW. I even feel like an "idiot" studying for the meetings.

We had a meeting for field service recently. An old time brother lead the group. He prepared how to put up a defense if someone at the door questions a certain way our bible is translated. He pulled out the Kingdom Interlinear, showed how the Greek texts were written and how it was translated. I actually felt like it was something in depth for once! To my surprise, all morning I heard nothing but fellow JW's making fun of this brother. How "no one will actually argue with us at the door over that" or "he's an old timer". While they were true, it still shocked me. The old time brother may not even know that they are no longer printing that book. This brother spent his whole life, dedicated, just to be mocked for how in depth he used to study.

The new Thursday nights is even worse! You no longer give what you learned from the bible reading. It's two pre-made answers followed by two specific questions. It's no longer what you found in your reading. The demos are now videos, in between demos it even says, "Take householder information" on the screen. They are such basic, and simple presentations. They even have to tell you to take information? I just feel dumb sitting there and when I prepare. The Watchtower has gotten even worse. I'm not even sure the point of it anymore. It's more about gloating about the organization and doctrine, then actually teaching you something. People just re-repeat the paragraph for their answers.

Cart witnessing we're being taught not to get into any doctrine issues but to just focus on getting the individuals information and leaving him with literature. In door to door if someone argues, we just leave now.

I don't believe this crap, I am stuck in and I feel like I am being treated like a pre-schooler with how they are setting everything up. Better yet, they tell you not to go to college... Can't say I'm feeling like I am getting the "best education" as they like to put it.

Sorry for the rant!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Being a clone and a robot doesn't make one smart....

Being an individual who can think, reason and research facts for oneself...Well, THAT is smart!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

When they went into more detail with their literature and meeting talks it wasn't because the information was more intellient it was just bolder and more unapologetic in its lies. The dumbing down of the information you are observing just means they know they can't get away with as much anymore so they keep it vague and superficial.

They want you to feel dumb, but you are not dumb the information is dumb.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration
    They used to require you to know the doctrine. Now as long as you can say jw.org and hand out pieces of paper you are qualified. Oh and OBEY whatever the WT says.
  • Naoscillator
    Naoscillator

The dumbing down of the information you are observing just means they know they can't get away with as much anymore so they keep it vague and superficial.

Couldn't have said it better. This is especially true of the last couple of times they tried to tackle evolution in the magazines.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS has always been able to exploit people's ignorance of even what the bible says with intelligent honesty as a means to lure people into their pertaining version of bible wisdom, so they too can be turned into the organization's public sales representatives .

These doctrines were set to attract attention but they were not in binding accordance to what the bible really says or meant to say, most bible theologians today would agree to that.

Did the WTS's training help people to be able to talk to others in discussion ?

I would say yes if the person gave public talks and went out in service often, I did.

• TheMark
    TheMark

In the past it only seemed in depth because they had all these calculations and prophecy interpretations applied to themselves. They kept going on about all that 1914 stuff until it became evident to everyone that the generation was not what they thought it was. After that, maybe starting 1994 or so, they had nothing left to say.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS sold a tainted commercialized version of the Gospel devised specifically to support the proliferation of the literature the organization published.

The ongoing pressing indoctrination to those doctrines created the reaction of what the WTS leaders wanted and expected.

So one shouldn't feel overly strung out with guilt or shame for being involved in this somewhat commercialized indoctrination. On the other hand better to be awoken to this reality of it and carry on with self respect and personal integrity .

I feel the Watchtower Corporation is on its way of winding down to a mere shadow of itself in next few years, ironically it will be the truth that is making this causative effect.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I can appreciate the rant!

My wife feels similarly as you. Everything presented at the meetings is simplistic and dumbed down.

But I think you should feel smart, just for the fact you know this stuff is dumb! Others think it's thre greatest thing since sliced bread. . . .

• cofty
    cofty

thedepressedsoul - I sympathise with your feelings. The rot began in the early 80s with the release of the "Reasoning" book. We were instructed that when a "householder" raised an objection to get the book out and read the answer.

I was a pioneer at the time and I never took the book out ever. I prided myself on being able to answer anything from the bible alone. It seems to be 100 times worse now. I couldn't stand it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit