Dumb Elders

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I knew a few pretty intelligent elders . Sometimes I would wonder why they remained as elders or even Witnesses because they were successful men who made a good living and were highly respected because of their qualities.

That is a rather small group. Most elders that I know of aren’t the brightest bulbs in the sky.

I remember at elder’s school, a former Bethelite couldn’t take it anymore and announced to the instructors and fellow elders that he was a chronic masturbator and he had to express his guilt over his “secret sin”. You could’ve heard a pin drop.

Now, that’s a dumb elder!

Did you care to share any dumb elder stories?!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Ok, my friend's dad was an elder. I'll share a quick anecdote about him and then you can decide whether he was dumb or not, lol.

So, my mate's elder dad believed that gay men inserted tampons into their rectum because all that anal sex made them incontinent. He didn't think this happened to just one or two gay men who went sex-crazy ... he believed this was a typical thing that affected the gay community.

So, was he dumb? Er, yeah, I'd say so, lol.

• minimus
    minimus

Dumb?? I dunno. STUPID? Yes!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

We had an elder roll a riding mower. Another elder said it was odd that an elder did that as elders are supposed to be smarter.

• minimus
    minimus

That same elder I knew also was the one that wanted to disfellowship a dead man.

• Harry
    Harry

Expressing beliefs without positive physical evidence is being intellectually dishonest and stupid.

JWS elders or not .

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Its simple Harry, if you are an elder in a cult you have to be stupid. Even people who are highly educated in one area can be very stupid and many times are when it comes to common sense. Einstein was a genius in Physics but stupid when it came to even dressing himself. To be an elder you have to have mental issues. Most elders I knew were all in love with the adulation they got from the old women giving them the golf clap after a talk. Oh Brother so and so. you give such good talks. bla bla bla. Many know that there are issues with the cult but choose to ignore it because of of the social structure they love being on the top of. So many elders I knew were also out and out stupid. They did not want to learn and thought learning anything outside the cult was a waste of time. I don't know if Harry is trying to be a cult apologist but to try to apply some type of empirical evidence to this is wrong.

I remember an elder giving a talk holding up a fossil from Colorado saying this fish fossil was found on the top of the Rocky Mountains. The only way it got there was by the great flood. He did not know how stupid he was being. And if you bring it up you are taken in the back room and giving a talking to. So save your apologies Harry.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

In general elders are a stupid lot. By nature or just by ignorance they are stupid. I only separate out two kinds of people and give them different passes on being in the cult. Those who are adults and buy into this crap as an adult are stupid, mentally ill or have some mental issue. Those born in as a child I give a pass to that it may take a lot of time to come out. When a child is raised in a cult, and insular society and fed crap all their life its a long time getting out. It can be done people do it all the time. But back when you could not get information on the cult it was very hard. In the 70s and even 80s There were only a few books and they were not known by many of the cult members at all. When Franz left and wrote his book that did shake things up. It was the start to information starting to leak out. Now its at someones finger tips. Its like the difference of taking a wagon train to California and a jet.

• Harry
    Harry

When stupidity and ignorance is propagated with a reinforcement of "godly righteous power" as JWS elders do many times giving talks, everyone listening suffers through that expressed ignorance, impressionable children as well..

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Well, given many here were Elders.....

I did know brilliant men who happened to also be Elders and I knew morons who also happened to be Elders. A person must almost be given a pass regarding religious participation when measuring intelligence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit