Lack of young people in the congregation?

by IAmJustMe 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

This isn't a recent phenomenon. When I was a teen growing up in the 1960s the majority of kids raised as JWs left the religion as soon as they graduated from high school and got out on their own. Of five of my close friends, today only one is still a JW. Four were gone by the 70s and I left in 84.

I remember adult JWs bemoaning the fact that so many of the young adults were leaving, and most of these came from supposedly devout JW families.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was a young kid at a KH. But that was many years ago. I am now over 60.

Young ones are not interested in the boring dribble coming from the platform. Since they have no history, discussions about generations, 1914, last days have no meaning. Pluse, meeting are very boring. You probably have figured that out.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I no go so me no know.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As I mentioned previously there is an over amount of oppression within the JWS religion which is a major factor to why so many young and old leave it.

As an example .......

Not to associate or have close friends who are not JWS

Not to celebrate secular holidays ie. birthdays, Christmas etc.

Not to attend higher education institutions , University, College or you will be chastised

a strict dress code and hair length restrictions

no involvement in governmental affairs, office or participation

no local community involvement in sports

Carefully scrutinized to your participation in the door to door service work, hours must be handed in every month

Pushed to gave talks or Assembly participation.

Woman are socially degraded in this religion, very misogynistic, cant even hold microphones in the Kingdom Halls.

Social events such as parties are frowned upon in congregations.

You are watched as to what movies you see or what books you read.

You are constantly watched over by all other members as to what you say, if there is any opposing contradictions to the leader's established doctrines, your going to have elders question you privately.

There's a lot more to be sure but when one composes all the elements of oppression, one can see why the JWS religion has such poor retention rates for its religious organization.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiIu0tm_DyM They started making god-awful videos in the 60,s to try and appeal to the young, but even 60 years later they are not getting much better at keeping ones from leaving.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Families that stayed intact over 50 years, families I knew from the 70's. I can only think of two families where their kids and now grandkids are still active in the organization. One family the Elder father was abusive with the wife and kids, a family of six(1970). That family has grown to over 20 and all are still active, it's puzzling because of the abusiveness that they all remain...The other family a family of 4(1970's), today that family has grown to 10, and all very active. No DF from either family over 50 years, why is it that some families never see the light, and how did the manage to stay intact?????

• never a jw
    never a jw

Bethel,

I didn't know they had been in the movie business in the 60's. It's a long tradition going back to brother C.T. Russell.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Generation Z is not going to go for JWs. The children may like the cartoons and at that stage like the idea of God etc but once they get a smartphone and look stuff up like everyone else in that generation its all over.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Does anybody remember the district convention script talk from 1987(?) “Responsible childbearing in this time of the end”? Lots of couples decided not to have children after hearing this call for demographic suicide.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

While I was PIMO I had the assignment of attendant. I mainly done it so I could stand up at the back and security check the car park. I also had to do the attendance count. Of the 100 or so publishers it usually had an attendance of 70-80. Very rarely was it a full house. I used to also count by age - as at the time I was becoming aware of the age disparity. Basically 2/3 of the cong was 40 years and older while 1/3 was 40 and younger. There were about 5 who were in the 20-30 year old bracket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit