The WTBTS predicts the I-Phone!! ???????

by DATA-DOG 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Does anyone remember the recent rumors of Chuck Russell predicting the methods of communication that we now enjoy? I believe he was quoting a Science journal that actually made the predictions. Hmmmm...I wonder what they said about aluminium cans???

Anyway, there were JWs going around saying outrageous things like, "The Holy Spirit helped the WTBTS to predict the I-phone! Oh Jeehoober!!! We have "the truth!"

I swear someone even commented on CTR's supposed prediction in a WT study. I believe they were contrasting Chuck with "false prophets." 😑

I know that I saw the actual article somewhere on this forum.

DD

• Slidin Fast
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Yeah! I had a brother come up to me at a CA and tell all about how CTR predicted the I-Phone!

The reality is that the WTBTS "borrowed" info from a scientific magazine.

DD

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

The Harp of God contains many references to 1874 in both the 1921 and 1928 editions. The 1927 edition of Creation uses inventions from 1874 onwards as evidence of the Lord's presence since that date. These included:

"But mention is made of some of those things that have come to light since 1874, as a further evidence of the Lord's presence since that date, as follows: Adding machines, aeroplanes, aluminium, antiseptic surgery, artificial dyes, automatic couplers, automobiles, barbed wire, bicycles, carborundum, cash registers, celluloid, cream separators, disc plows, electric railways, electric welding, elevators, escalators, fireless cookers, gas engines, harvesting machines, illuminating gas, induction motors, linotypes, monotypes, motion pictures, pasteurization, radium, railway signals, Roentgen rays, skyscrapers, smokeless powder, submarines, subways, talking machines, telephones, television, typewriters, vacuum cleaners, wireless telegraphy and wireless telephony." Creation 1927 2,175,000 ed. p.297

WTU

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Tesla made a similar prediction years before. Like everything he sold, CTR stole this too
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Citing my sources. I was a little off, looks like Tesla was only a year earlier on the prediction. And it was Rutherford that made the prediction on behalf of the WTS.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/nikola-tesla-predicted-smartphones-in-1926-like-a-boss/

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Read some science fiction from that period or earlier. Lots of people were predicting all kinds of things. I'm reading "The War in the Air" by H. G. Wells. It was written in 1908, he saw very clearly the overall effect of technology on warfare (although not the details). Even earlier Jules Verne made some very good guesses about future technology, among them practical submarines and something very like television.
  • fastJehu
    fastJehu
    ... as a further evidence of the Lord's presence since that date, as follows:
    ... cash registers ...

holy shit - they had no proof readers in those days.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

OMG! OneEyedJoe!!! That's the quote!!! LOL!!! That very quote is in an old WT article or book! LOL!!!

Thats the "proof" the Brother shared at a convention! HAHAA!!!

DD

• Kick50r
    Kick50r
    Im sure a blinded hunter shooting may too hit something sooner or LATER. Its called probability factor that can or not be influenced by external factors. On the other more interesting side , if it was evidence of the lord presence then, if not existent the result expected would be evidence of his absence. Though call ^^

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit