CNN: The 80's

by Simon 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• Simon
    Simon

I've really enjoyed the CNN series on the 60's and 70's - they give you more of the "feel" of how things progressed in each decade than just the raw facts while still providing interesting and entertaining views of history. Each episode typically focuses on development of one aspect such as TV, music or politics and of course includes important world events.

Starting on Thursday is the next series, this time covering the 80's. Now it's catching up with things I can really remember well directly.

The trailer shows the huge TV event of the decade if not all time - Who Shot JR. Yes kids, Who Shot Mr Burns was just a copy of it I'm afraid.

It was broadcast in the UK on Tuesday evening. Why can I remember that obscure fact? Because it was "group study" night and never did our group finish so early or the TV be switched on so quickly afterwards so we could all watch the episode when it was revealed. Sorry god, but tonight we find out about JR !!. Who else's group study did this? My wife's did too so that makes it 2 for 2 so far, LOL.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    We weren't allowed to watch Dallas, but I do remember all the hubbub about it.
  • pixel
    pixel
    Good.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

The 80s produced some terrific music and movies.

Fashions? In retrospect, not so much.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Our bookstudy ended half an hour early so we all could get home in time for Superman: The Movie.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Superman: The Movie came out in '78.

Just sayin'.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Yes. Yes it did.
  • Simon
    Simon
    You'll believe a man can fly ... not that he's strapped to a pole in front of a blue-screen, honest.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Simon...

At least his cape wasn't computer-generated. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit