2013 NWT - Conveniently Circular

by theunbeliever 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• theunbeliever
    theunbeliever
    This is my first post. As I am currently disfellowshipped, I have no one else to discuss these things with. Even if I was actively associated with the Dubs, I suppose I'd still have no one else to discuss this with. The public talk today was regarding the Bible's authenticity. The usual spiel about the Bible's candidness, scientific accuracy, and fulfillment of prophecy was developed. Isaiah 40:22 was read and I compared it to the cross-references, namely, Job 26:10, Proverbs 8:27, and Jeremiah 5:22. I've known for some time that the Hebrew word for "circle" does not necessarily mean "sphere", as taught by Dubs to prove that Isaiah was inspired to pen scientifically-accurate knowledge centuries before it became an accepted fact. I noticed that each of these other scriptures used the word "horizon" instead of "circle" since that is what the authors intended to convey. When I got home I compared these scriptures in the 1984 NWT and, would you know it, they all formerly read "circle" where they now read "horizon". It seems Watchtower realized its mistranslation of the original Hebrew word. However, the lone instance where this word conveniently remains the same in the 2013 NWT is Isaiah 40:22, the scripture so often pointed to as evidence of divine authorship. I haven't read anything online about this blatant adjustment of scripture to fit a conviction so I though I'd post and get some of your thoughts. Thanks for reading.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome to the forum unbeliever ,isnt it ironic that you identify yourself as theunbeliever yet you still go to the meetings ,I guess you have good reason to.

As far as commenting on how JW`s render this verse or that verse you would no doubt find a lot more scriptures they "doctor" to fit their beliefs such as John 1:1 you know the one.

In the KI translation of the Greek text says that "the word was God" and in their english translation/ interpretation they say "a" God

I look forward to hearing more of your story , just be careful not to disclose anything that would identify you.

• schnell
    schnell

It's funny that they go right to Isaiah 40. I personally love the Insight book's statement on that. Insight On The Scriptures is unintentionally hilarious at times.

Unity of Writership. Certain Bible critics in modern times have contended that the book of Isaiah was not all written by Isaiah. Some claim that chapters 40 through 66 were written by an unidentified person who lived about the time of the end of the Jews’ Babylonian exile. Other critics pare off additional portions of the book, theorizing that someone other than Isaiah must have written them. But the Bible itself does not agree with these contentions.

(...)

Jesus Christ himself, when he read from “the scroll of the prophet Isaiah” at the synagogue in Nazareth, was reading fromIsaiah 61:1, 2.—Lu 4:17-19.

Furthermore, the Dead Sea Scroll of Isaiah (IQIsa, believed to have been copied toward the end of the second century B.C.E.) contains evidence that the copyist who penned it knew nothing of any supposed division in the prophecy at the close ofchapter 39. He began the 40th chapter on the last line of the column of writing that containschapter 39.

• schnell
    schnell

The "Jesus believed it, therefore it must be true" argument is circular reasoning. It's a fallacy. If Isaiah 40 onward wasn't written by Isaiah, and the writer who wrote Luke wrote that Jesus read from Isaiah 61, that *should* cast doubt on either Jesus or the gospel attributed to Luke.

And if a scribe copying this in the *second* century continues from chapter 39 to 40, so the hell what? Seriously, Insight, you're hilarious.

Great call on the circle thing, too. It's not the only place you find a flat Earth in the Bible.

• theunbeliever
    theunbeliever

Thanks, middy. As far as meetings go, I think you'll agree attendance is not synonymous with belief.

All religions tailor their respective sacred writings to fit their needs. I was most interested in this particular point because I've never heard it brought up, specifically with regards to the NWT's insistence on rendering "circle" what is clearly meant to be "horizon".

I appreciate your advice. I'll be mindful of keeping things just vague enough.

That's interesting, schnell. I'd meant to look further into that previously but forgot about the Isaiah dispute. It's amusing because the very scripture used to prove scientific accuracy and future insight actually does the opposite, as you stated.

P.S. Not sure if I'm supposed to respond to comments all at once or separately, but whatever. I'll learn. :)

• Fernando
    Fernando

A warm welcome theunbeliever.

This is the place to be, and thank you for sharing.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

What first sealed the deal for me was the removal of the square brackets [ ] around the added word "other" in Colossians 1 (2013 edition). (At least in the past [pre-2013], they told the reader that they added the word. Now, they try to make it appear as original Greek.)

• Half banana
    Half banana

Welcome to the fray Unbeliever and remember we are with you on your journey towards gaining your freedom and your new life. Although you are in a bit of a fix at the mo, be assured, it will not last, things will get much better!

It is actually possible to spend a lifetime of research looking into the scriptures and not come to any conclusion. My suggestion for any thinking ex-JW is to read those academics who have spent a lifetime researching who are without a religious agenda and who are not associated with or affiliated to a religious body. These individuals often are not found in the popular books section of Amazon or bookshops.

Such a writer is Thomas L Thompson who was denied his first PhD by his adjudicator the former Pope Benedict XVI (Joseph Ratzinger) because his dissertation exposed the intellectual dishonesty of the Roman Church. Thompson left the church and studied all aspects of the history, archeology and texts and inscriptions contemporary to the biblical ones. He develops a clear picture of the political, religious and social milieu of the writers of the Hebrew texts (my hero).

Such people are the bane of Bible cults.

Anyway---a circle can be deformed into a star; get out of that vicious JW circle and be a star instead!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Welcome UNBELIEVER.

D/f'd and still attending? You must have a strong constitution!

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Welcome.

I love their claim that the Bible is scientifically accurate. Have them explain Genesis 1:9-14 which says that on the third creative day God made the green vegetation and on the fourth creative day, God made the sun.

Watchtower I believe still holds that the creative days were 7000 years or so long. So how does green vegetation survive in a climate without the sun? A tree can live roughly 6 months with no sun, not 7000 years. How can green vegetation form without sun to begin with?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit