Since you left, have you become more moral?

by Coded Logic 47 Replies latest social family

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Coded Logic ( Q) " since you left have you become more moral?"

The Rebel ( A) By watchtower standards No.

But this does not mean on a personal level my new morals are not influenced by my new culture. So when I answer your question honestly I look back and remember the pious way I once judged people. For example beard or no beard". Imagine the stupidity of once believing and judging a person as non-acceptable company because they wore a beard.

So I have learnt that morals are often no more than superficial ideas of righteousness, and all I can hope is that I am now less haughty and judgemental.

The Rebel.

• done4good
    done4good

In terms of the narrow-minded, (and incorrect), definition of "morality" according to the WT...No...thankfully!

In terms of being an intellectually honest person that makes every attempt to not cause harm to others, (actual morality)...Yes.

d4g

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Have I become more moral?

By jw and fundamental religious view no, I may be considered immoral

I feel I have a better definition of morality now though, and I am more empathetic, kind, forgiving etc. Although I was never terrible at those things sometimes I felt the discomfort of being too much so as a witness and was treated as such. I enjoyed spending more time with unbelieving mates etc because they felt more real. But I didn't preach to them.

Bad jw! Bad bad bad

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I'm still basically me. I just don't put the good stuff down to god or a cult. I'm just a nice bloke.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

A fellow told me, "I don't think about crazy sex as much as I did when I was a JW".

Whatever that mean, that is what he told me.LOL

• What Now?
    What Now?

I think my morals and values are the same as they have always been.

However, I am not respectful, honest, fair etc because God will punish me if I'm not, or destroy me at Armageddon if I'm not.

I am a moral person because it's the right way to be, and being that way makes the world a better place and benefits the people around me.

There is a huge difference.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    When I was a JW I wasn't a moral person because I obeyed all the rules by sense of duty. Today I follow my conscience and I am custodian of my morality. I no longer have to consult others before I decide to give money to charity or to share a meal with someone who has a different religious view or sexual orientation. I have become more tolerant of others and no longer feel the need to prove anyone wrong.
  • Introvert 2
    Introvert 2
    I met a df'ed JW when we were both in our early thirties. He's born in, and all heck broke loose with him during that period. I remember him accusing me of being weird for not hitting the strip clubs.. Some people just need to be told what to do 24/7
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I am more moral now. When I was a witness I tried to follow the letter of the law, now I follow my conscience, which actually makes me a much better person than I was before. I hope part of it is not only leaving the religion, but maturity too that finally helped me grow...I don't know, since I finally started growing up when leaving the religion! Time to be a big girl and live my own life.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Moral" is too loaded a word, IMO.

I prefer the term "ethical".

But, yes.

Or, I'm the same, and that's the reason I left.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit