My life as a fundamentalist

by joey jojo 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

As a born-in JW, I never considered myself to be a fundamentalist. I always thought we were enlightened, progressive and not 'stuck in darkness' like all the other religions.

I was totally wrong.

As far as fundamentalists go, JW's are probably right up there amongst the front-runners. No, they do not stone people to death or go on religion-fuelled violent rampages but that's not what I'm talking about.

A fundamentalist believes the book they consider sacred as fact, in its entirety. As we know, JW's believe the bible to be infallible. They believe everything that is written in it actually happened and look to the bible (combined with their own interpretation) as the final word in any argument, be it scientific, moral, prophetic, whatever.

Why is this so dangerous?

It negates logic and reason. A fundamentalist is by definition an unreasonable, dogmatic person. He does not care about peer reviewed scientific discoveries if they disprove what he believes in, he regards them as joke. I have heard JW's mock excellent, caring medical doctors because they advocate using blood when needed in life-saving surgeries. Others may have 'read an article or two' about bloodless surgery and now feel qualified to judge these medical staff that have devoted most of their lives so far learning to save lives. This all comes about because of an unclear scripture in the old testament. This is just one example.

As JW's, everything we do, say and think is governed by someone else, we don't get to think for ourselves. We choose life paths for ourselves and our children based on this information.

All a fundamentalist has to do is believe the bible. That's it, case closed, argument over. If you disagree then you are an apostate. A scientist however does not have that luxury. he cannot just proclaim something to be true and expect everyone else to agree. Anything a researcher does is peer reviewed, challenged, debated in a search for the truth. A scientist must go where the evidence leads them, this is rational and logical.

I haven't been to a meeting in about 10 yrs. As a baptised dub, I really thought I knew a lot about the bible but over the last 10 years I have learned the most interesting stuff and I guess that is the point I am coming to.

Fundamentalists, like JW's, base their whole lives and those of their children on the bible because they assume it to be true but how much do we know about the bible? Here's some fun stuff I really want to share. Some of this has no doubt been covered on this website but some people may not have come across it yet. This is not a comprehensive list but hopefully it will be of interest to anyone who has just started searching for truth.

Jesus was not born of a virgin. Isa 7:14,the scripture that 'foretells' his birth of a virgin has nothing to do with Jesus. The word 'virgin' in Hebrew was mistranslated into greek and originally meant 'the young woman of marriageable age'. It applied to a young woman that was standing in the presence of the King Ahaz when Isaiah spoke the prophecy. She would give birth to a child named Immanuel that will still be young when the threat from the enemy kings had passed.

There is no archaeological evidence for Moses, Abraham, Isaac outside the bible.

There is no evidence outside the bible that there was an exodus of the Jews from Egypt.

There is little to no archaeological or historical evidence for David or Solomon living in the 10th century BCE.

How long is a creative day? I don't know and neither do the governing body, although it didn't stop them from telling us to preach that it was 7000 years to the whole world for decades. This has implications for end times prophecy and its what led to the 1975 debacle.

I wasn't going to mention Noahs flood but needless to say there is absolutely no geological evidence it happened. There is no physical evidence it happened. The ark has never been found. This is a topic that has its own threads on this website.

This is the tip of the iceberg. The point I am trying to make is that as dub, I swallowed all this without thought and because I was a fundamentalist, I looked down on anyone that didn't agree with me.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy
    Excellent OP, IMO. And appertains to all fundies (of all religions), not just dubs.
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Amen!

And there he was this Joey, a stranger to my eyes,
    Strumming my pain with his fingers (one time),
    Singing my life with his words (two times),
    Killing me softly with his song,
    Killing me softly with his song,
    Telling my whole life with his words,
    Killing me softly with his song
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    good points, you are correct with putting the WTS up there as the frontrunners, they are responsible for a Jonestown tragedy and the WACO siege many many times over with the needless pointless unscriptural adherence to their medical prohibitions, a truly dangerous group.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

Joey all 100% right.

It's amazing when you have the wool removed from your eyes what you are able to see.
    Yet - all religions are Cults, it's just our type is one of the really bad ones since self determination is not allowed.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Joey, you make some very good points including the danger of believing Watchtower dogma such as not having blood transfusions.

It's a smug and deluded life you lead if you are a JW.

What I am thinking now is regarding the whole matter of Christian belief; that it should still exist at all! And with such respect by both people and politicians and go unchallenged in this age of instant internet information. A serious secular study on the origins of the Bible easily exposes its unholy fusion of pagan belief masquerading as divine light.

The premises on which religious belief is drawn are intellectually indefensible. Yet religious culture is proving to be a very large sea-going tanker which will take time and distance to turn around. Better if it sank!

By passive acceptance and respect for this childish mode of thinking and living we are also enshrining the right to religious fundamentalism and will reap a whirlwind from it.

It would be possible to recognize that the religious stories are just moralising folk tales and be done with them, existing as part of our collective heritage. Yet to do so ignores the existence of beliefs which radicalise religion by taking the text as sacred and inerrant and killing others as part of divine worship.

If governments were to sanction fundamentalists blind, emotive and socially pressured injunction to conform, it would make a for a formidable army of holy warriors to be waged against the unbelievers as is happening inside Islam notably in Iraq with ISIS. This political dimension of religious belief is a significant threat to all of us. It is religious idealism placed above the value of human life...as with JWs and blood transfusion.

Fortunately in the West, especially in western Europe, democracy has generally pushed religious imperatives into the background and religious "belief" as of the 21st century is statistically on the wane even in USA.

To be a Jehovah's Witness is to be radicalized.

Even though not overtly political, (from the GB's perspective it most certainly is political in the sense of controlling eight million followers) the JW permits his or her brain to be 'rewired' to conform to the cult mentality. It is a similar process for all fundamentalists; a blind hope in a supernatural resolution to human problems.

Belief in holy books and their interpreters is not only ignorant and naive but very dangerous.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I never was a dub. I was brought up in the Open Brethren (as fundie as they come) and as I got older and more enquiring (pre-internet days) this was an issue which troubled me and has intrigued me ever since.

The question was: how can intelligent and enquiring minds blindly accept stuff for which there is no evidence, and stuff which the available evidence disproves?

I apply this to my own late father. He was a very senior Inland Revenue Inspector, whose work depended on evidence, law, etc. He had an extremely forensic mind and was well-respected in his field. And yet, he accepted (at least outwardly) so much stuff religiously that was increasingly unproved, unproveable and unlikely. I noticed as he got older (and in retrospect this feeling is strengthened) that he avoided discussion of religious stuff and I believe that he came to increasingly disbelieve stuff. I believe that he was able to separate his religious beliefs from his 'everyday' life - and I think that this caused him some pain as he got older.

The amount of information available to anyone with access to the internet and sources has increased exponentially. That's why some religions fight it. Fundies can no longer bask unchallenged in 'knowledge' confirmed by selected books.

I sometimes consider asking for a JW 'bible study' - starting from the origins of the OT. They wouldn't/couldn't do it, so I disabuse myself of that idea fairly quickly.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_12?k=leaving+the+fold&sprefix=leaving+the+

I read the book entitled, Leaving the Fold after I walked away. It opened my eyes. Yes, JWs are absolutely fundamentalists.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    And lets not forget the mountain of prophecies that didn't come true. Both Jeremiah and Isahiah we're false prophet's.
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

If you have not been to a meeting in 10 years, you no longer know the JWs. This religion has evolved immensely just in the last 5 years, more so if 10.

The only way I have put up with it successfully since learning TTATT is due to many a JW inside just going through the motions and not really deeply caring about the WTBTS.

Take for example the upcoming memorial. The group I hang with, many among us perceived to be JW heavies, all we have commented about the occasion is where we are going to eat and drink afterwards; everything is just "blah, blah, blah.....the end is near.... blah, blah, blah.... we need more money..... blah, blah, blah. It is the attitude for the most part of JWs still inside. Just in for family and the nice association, nothing more.

The GB can keep on talking until blue in the face and they will not change us. With so many failed prophesies and so many ridiculous changes, plus the threat that we will lose it all if we leave, all we can effectively do is play deaf until death do us part.🙄

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit