Something Eerily Familiar about "The Village" Movie.

by Sea Breeze 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Even after 17 years I still haven't forgot "The Village". Maybe it was because I had just left the WT. Maybe it was something else. Did anyone else feel like you especially identified with this movie as a witness/ex-witness? I know I did. If you haven't seen this suspense thriller, its a good watch.

----------------------- Spoiler Alert --------------------------

Stop reading now if you haven't seen the movie, because the rest of this post will spoil it for you.

Here is a spoiler summary with my additions in bold.

“Those We Don’t Speak Of” aren’t really monsters, (demons), they’re costumed villagers meant to make the tales of Covington’s beast problem a reality. (Elders) The reason for their existence is because the founder of the village, Edward Walker (William Hurt) (CT Russell) helped create a society where it was possible to convince a whole town of people that (Jesus already returned in 1914) it was still the 19th century.

The grand truth, and second twist of The Village sees the blind, but resourceful Ivy travel beyond the borders of what’s known to the outside world as Walker Wildlife Preserve (Dub Town). In a quest to get medicine that would heal Lucius, it’s revealed that this village exists in (the Church age and that Jesus hasn't returned yet after all) modern day Pennsylvania.

The reason for the 19th century setting is because Edward and his fellow town elders wanted to escape the problems of the modern world,

Did anyone else feel creepy and elated after watching this movie?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I remember seeing this film in the theater. I was definitely PIMI at the time. So, it is only after the fact that I see the familiarity.

Those who engineered the Village went out of their way to make sure their children were not accidently exposed to sightings of modern things such as planes (no fly zone), etc. That sounds familiar (avoid the internet!).

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Yep! The movie is definitely worth another watch. I think it was an understated masterpiece about the compartmentalization of information driven by fear and control..... for others own good of course.

Why would anyone want to leave the organization? We have everything we need right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTGyhwvdY6k&t=36s&ab_channel=MovieclipsClassicTrailers

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Yes!

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, the ending is a real jolt and it's suspenseful along the way. You get this sense that things aren't right, everything isn't as it seems, but you don't quite know how.

It's a great movie in its own right but, like The Matrix, has that special "waking up to reality" quality that echoes the experience of leaving the WTS especially if you were brought up in it all your life.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I recall seeing this on tv with my believing wife. The similarities to our situation in the Wt went straight over her head, but to me it was obvious.

Yes , a good film to watch especially if you are waking up to the Wt .

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Village movie parallels the Borg and it's adherents in every possible way.

• new boy
    new boy

I love Simon's statement, "You get this sense that things aren't right, everything isn't as it seems, but you don't quite know how."

What better way to describe trying to choke down their so called spiritual food with a thinking mind where all the pieces don't quite fit together and in the end their only fall back to the insanity they are pushing is "well....you just have to trust in Jehovah".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit