This may be a crazy question, but it popped in my head and won't leave. . So I gotta ask. . .

by Miss Worldly 24 Replies latest jw friends

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Don't get me wrong, I love my wife. But eternity? like, hundreds, thousands, millions of years together, always? I don't know. I just don't know. That was one thing that was weird to me. I can easily see myself growing old and dying with my wife now in this life. But that is a total of 70 years at most?

That topic was always in the "you'll figure it out once you get there" section.

• Miss Worldly
    Miss Worldly

Thank you for all the replies.

Prologos- Thank you, but I have absolutely no interest in becoming a JW. That will never, come hell, high water, pestilence or fire balls happen. I have seen the devastation it causes, both to physical health and mental health.

I love your analogy of the male breast "structure without function" that does eloquently describe a lot of things I have witnessed (pardon the pun). I may well use that, if I may?

I, sometimes unfortunately, have a thirst for knowledge. About things I find difficult to understand. This was one of those things that I could not get a clear answer on. And honestly? I'm still not sure! There seems to be a lot of difference in teachings, depending on how the question is asked. All designed, I suppose, to keep the 'ask-er' in line.

Thank you again.

• James Brown
    James Brown

The resurrected are like angles they do not marry.

It's a bible Jesus thing not a JW rule.

Matthew 22:23-33English Standard Version (ESV)

Sadducees Ask About the Resurrection

23 The same day Sadducees came to him, who say that there is no resurrection, and they asked him a question, 24 saying, “Teacher, Moses said, ‘If a man dies having no children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother.’ 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first married and died, and having no offspring left his wife to his brother. 26 So too the second and third, down to the seventh. 27 After them all, the woman died. 28 In the resurrection, therefore, of the seven, whose wife will she be? For they all had her.”

29 But Jesus answered them, “You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. 31 And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God: 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living.” 33 And when the crowd heard it, they were astonished at his teaching.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Now come the time of the Big A. Earthly paradise is restored. And so is the first spouse. A spouse that died believing that they and their marriage partner would be in paradise together, but now finds that their partner has remarried and loves the new person they married *awkward*.

There is a reason why the vows usually state "until death do us part". The woman decides to re-marry because she is no longer married to anyone. If she is no longer married to the person that died, in the JWs paradise, once the dead person is resurrected he/she is no longer married to anybody. Even if the wife had not re-married, they would still not be married any longer. Either could choose to marry anybody else.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

In all reality this is how life after the big "A" is going to be like

http://www.4witness.org/what-about-life-after-armageddon-is-over-a-personal-diary/

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thanks for those scripture references James Brown "...when the crowd heard it, they were astonished at his teaching." It reminds me of The Life Of Brian and the crowds audibly gasping whenever Brian said anything.😄

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

I have heard the rank and file ask many questions on life after the resurrection. Namely, they are concerned about issues and feelings after the Big A. Many ask about having children and the desire to have kids during the "thousand year reign." Others ask about marriage and marriage mates. Is there a chance for marriage? Who will I married to if I remarried before A? Some ask about the pain of having lost unbelieving family and friends at A. The answers provided were simple. We were told that Jeehovah will remove all memories of your lost loved ones from your mind. You will feel no pain because you will not remember. You will not know that your son, daughter, husband, sister, mother, father, or brother were executed at A. You will not remember that you were married to someone. Jeehovah will remove any desire to have children from your mind. You will be turned into emotional zombies with fully erased hard drives and ready to be reprogrammed when more scrolls are opened. Nice and easy answers in JW world!

• prologos
    prologos
    JB: "The resurrected are like angles they do not marry.
    It's a bible Jesus thing not a JW rule.

Jws that are resurrected to heaven do marry-- in the " the marriage of the lamb". Marriage after Armageddon was our big defense; whenever a not to subtle, unsolicited proposal came our way, the comment was : We belong to AA a-- after Armageddon, anonymous , anno circa 1958. wt teaching had it, you had it, even then you would have to wait a thousand years to have a really perfect husband.PS: that line also confirmed your firm wt belief that the end was near, no resurrection no show at the altar envisioned.

• lookout
    lookout

I love how no one knows the answer, but that doesn't stop you from saying this or that.

The answer is that no one knows. And the official position from the WT articles is that no one knows and we do no good speculating. If a spouse dies, and the surviving spouse chooses to remain single, there's nothing to say that they can't be together after the resurrection. If a spouse dies, and the surviving spouse chooses to remarry, then they can. And who's to say the resurrected one can't be happy with that scenario. They are free to marry some hottie from the 2nd century B.C.

my 2 pennies

• Ding
    Ding

Part of the GB's problem is that they think they must have an answer for everything.

When they say there's no point speculating, they usually go on to speculate anyway.

They engage in all sorts of speculation, and JWs become convinced the Bible teaches it because they read it in the Watchtower.

It's very liberating when you realize they make stuff up as they go along and you no longer feel an obligation to understand it or defend it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit