My dentist saved me today

by La Capra 12 Replies latest jw friends

• La Capra
    La Capra

I adore my dentist. She inherited me when my dentist before passed away, about 7 years ago. She always remembers everything about me and asks tons of questions that I can't answer while she clears away the plaque of the last six months. Today we were discussing my law school, and my working full time, and a li'l ol' battle I'm having with the dean, and so on....and she asked me if I was sleeping ok. The answer was NO. Not that she could tell by my mouth and teeth, but that she could relate having gone to dental school. She then asked if I was having anxiety...well of course, I'm having anxiety, I'm a law student AND high school teacher, of course I have anxiety. Did I say I'm having anxiety? I'm having anxiety... She the told me about a med that works on anxiety that doesn't have to be taken regularly, only when needed that doesn't dull the mind (which is why I have not started taking anti-anxiety medication during law school...must remember every definition...), or the coordination. It's a blood pressure medicine. She told me that EVERYONE she knew in dental school took it for the board practica, and such. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow. There is no reason I have to walk around with my heart in my throat everytime I lose my pencil (well that was an exageration, but not too much of one.). Just knowing I don't have to hit the heavy stuff has alredy calmed me down. And no cavities this time... (which is a different thread.... how many of us have totally crappy teeth because our parents figured we get a new set in the new system anyways...me, me).

• Swan
    Swan
    And no cavities this time... (which is a different thread.... how many of us have totally crappy teeth because our parents figured we get a new set in the new system anyways...me, me).

Me too.

Keep us posted on the anti-anxiety thing please. I have been having problems with anxiety myself and am going to the doctor next week to see if I need a change in meds. I sometimes only get 2 hours sleep a night because I keep worrying about things. "What things?" my husband asked me. "The price of tea in China," I answered because I will worry over the littlest inconsequential things that I know I can't control. I worry over them anyway. Can't stop thinking about them.

So now I am anxious to know how this will work for you.

Good luck with it.

Tammy

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Well, at least that's more original than 'Jesus saved me'!

• Francois
    Francois

And the name of this wonderful drug is...?

FT

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    how many of us have totally crappy teeth because our parents figured we get a new set in the new system anyways...me, me).
    I can't blame my parents for bad teeth because I was a grown man when mine started going south, but thanks to the dubs I now have the best teeth money can buy. The new system didn't save my teeth. Did get a new set but had to pay for them myself. Tammy, I once read about a business executive who always asked him self this question before making a decision :" what is the worst thing that can happen if I decide to proceed in this manner?" Usually the answer was "not much." In your case the question could be " what is the worst thing that can happen if I don't worry about this little problem I can't do nothing about?"
  • Swickley
    Swickley

Yes, what is the name of this drug?

• La Capra
    La Capra

What is the name of the drug....it would be irresponsible for me to name it, but it is a drug that is actually prescribed for high blood pressure, but can be used effectively for anxiety. Fact is your doctor probably took it when she was in med school, too... And as for worrying about things that can't be helped. That is the problem. If you have anxiety, it is beyond mental worrying. It is a physical worry...it as though your body is in constant fight or flight reaction. When some ordinary daily roadblock comes along, the internal reaction is not normal, it's as though losing your pencil creates the same reaction as your house burning down...Just not thinking about it doesn't take the physical reaction away. I am brilliant about not thinking about things, but I can't shake the tightness in my chest. Which, of course is one more thing about which to worry. Shoshana

• LDH
    LDH

LC,

How would it be "irresponsible" of you to name a medication?

Lisa

Just wondering Class

• Swickley
    Swickley

Speaking from experience, you'll probably "shake the tightness in your chest" 4 months after the bar exam (when the results are finally in). That is, of course, assuming that you passed. Best of luck.

• La Capra
    La Capra

Oh, cause, then it would give me something else to worry about. Actually, my dentist said it was called propranolol. It is a nonselective beta adrenergic blocker...Just read the page out of her drug book she gave me. It's good for a variety of other annoyances as well. The reason most people don't know about this one is because it really doesn't make you feel happier. It just allows you not to be affected so detrimentally by the little stuff. I guess everyone is off to see their doctors today. Shoshana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit