Are Christians to be Witnesses of Jesus or Jehovah?

by blondie 21 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I was doing research on another topic and this question came to mind. Notice how the WTS dances around the question below and then my comments about that and whether historically did the WTS see Isaiah as applying to all jws or only anointed members, spiritual Israel (Galatians 6:16)?

ARE CHRISTIANS TO BE WITNESSES OF JESUS OR JEHOVAH?

‘Christians are supposed to be witnesses for Jesus, not for Jehovah’

You might reply: ‘That’s an interesting point you have brought up. And you are right that we do have a responsibility to be witnesses for Jesus. That’s why Jesus’ role in God’s purpose is emphasized in our publications. (You may want to use a current book or a magazine to demonstrate this.) But here is something that may be a new thought to you. (Rev. 1:5) . . . Of whom was Jesus “the Faithful Witness”? (John 5:43; 17:6) . . . Jesus set the example that we should imitate, did he not? . . . Why is it so important to get to know both Jesus and his Father? (John 17:3)’

Notice, that at Rev. 1:5 the complete quote is

and from Jesus Christ, “the Faithful Witness,”+ “the firstborn from the dead,”+ and “the Ruler of the kings of the earth.”+

There is no mention of Jehovah here or being witnesses of Jehovah at John 5:43 and 17:6, but the following quotes from the scriptures say:

Acts 1:8 from the mouth of Jesus himself:

But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you,+ and you will be witnesses+ of me in Jerusalem,+ in all Ju·deʹa and Sa·marʹi·a,+ and to the most distant part* of the earth.”

1st Corinthians 1:6

just as the witness about the Christ+ has been made firm among you,

Revelation 12:17

So the dragon became enraged at the woman and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her offspring,*+ who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness concerning Jesus.+

Revelation 17:3

And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the holy ones and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus.+

Only anointed JWs are a nation of witnesses for Jehovah

*** jv chap. 7 p. 83 Advertise the King and the Kingdom! (1919-1941) ***

At that time the Jonadabs were not considered to be "Jehovah's witnesses." (See The Watchtower, August 15, 1934, page 249.) However, a few years later, The Watchtower of July 1, 1942, stated: "These 'other sheep' [Jonadabs] become witnesses for Him, on the same wise that the faithful men before Christ's death, from John the Baptist all the way back to Abel, were the never-quitting witnesses for Jehovah."

The following spring, several issues of The Watchtower, beginning with the April 1, 1935, issue, carried this announcement: "Again The Watchtower reminds its readers that a convention of Jehovah's witnesses and Jonadabs will be held at Washington, D.C., beginning May 30 and ending June 3, 1935." The Jonadabs eagerly awaited the convention.

*** w81 2/1 pp. 21-22 par. 6 The Time for a Watchman like Ezekiel ***
    Ezekiel’s people were the ones to whom Jehovah had earlier said by his prophet Isaiah: “‘You are my witnesses,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘even my servant whom I have chosen.’” (Isa. 43:10-12) So Ezekiel pictured the organized body of Jehovah’s spirit-anointed witnesses at the present time, the spiritual Israelites.

*** w58 11/15 p. 698 par. 17 Reading the Meaning of the Signs and Wonders ***To the anointed remnant of spiritual Israelites Isaiah 43:10 says: “‘You are my witnesses,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘even my servant whom I have chosen.’” This servant class has to be seen; it has to let itself be heard in order to be witnesses of Jehovah. And in order to join with the anointed servant class in the world-wide witness work, the great flock of dedicated sheeplike persons has to be seen in union with them and let themselves be heard in unison with them.

Isaiah 43:10-12 = literal Israelites are called Jehovah’s witnesses

If only the 144,000 are “spiritual Israelites” only they can truly be called “Jehovah’s witnesses.” Notice how the WTS separates another group from the group of jws.

*** w50 3/1 p.70 par.12***

Jehovah’s witnesses and their companions testify to the people concerning the Kingdom and its blessings. They call upon the people to join in praising God

*** w53 4/1p.214par.21***

Only Jehovah’s witnesses and their associates are bearing the fruits of the Kingdom by public proclamation. (Heb. 13:15) They alone are heralding forth the good news that God’s kingdom under Christ is man’s only hope.

*** w56 2/1 p.96***

To be sure, all of Jehovah’s witnesses and their good-will companions will be active this month presenting from house to house

*** w68 3/15 p.174 par.24***

And today the anointed remnant of Jehovah’s witnesses and their companions, who serve under the Greater-than-Hezekiah, Christ, find strength and comfort in times of stress in zealous service to God and association together as his temple worshipers.

Reading Galatians 6:16, who is the spiritual Israel of God, the anointed Christians, per Paul:

As for all those who walk orderly by this rule of conduct, peace and mercy be upon them, yes, upon the Israel of God.+

So only the anointed Christians are spiritual Israelites, not the other sheep.

Thus, only anointed Christians are the witnesses of Jehovah spoken about in Isaiah 43:10-12

For information as to how the WTS after 50 years of existence took on the name of Jehovah’s witnesses see:

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/jehovahs-witness-name.php

• stillin
    stillin

Blondie, looking at it from another viewpoint, what, exactly have we witnessed so as to be able to tell others about it? No miracles, no voice from heaven, nada. What we HAVE seen is men building a new religion in the last century. We've seen the arrogance that goes with claiming to "see" and understand things that only God's special chosen ones can see. We've witnessed how the printed word in the Watchtower has almost replaced the written word of the Bible.

• Jolted Awake
    Jolted Awake

I think that MOST Jehovah's Witnesses "Jonadab class", are not aware that the WT Org taught this earlier. If they teach now that this is not true after all, then Jehovah did not give this teaching to them but was man made.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Blondie:

Brilliant! Great stuff here to remind us how the Watchtower dances to their own tune and their own tossed salad Bible. In order to understand their doctrines, you have got to bring your own salad dressing and bacon bits.

And don't forget your wallet either!

Atlantis!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Theoretically both but its Jesus who is more involving of the new world order.

In reality JWs are witnesses of the Watchtower Corporation and its tainted commercial version of the Gospel of Jesus .

• Roddy
    Roddy

I say we are witnesses of Jehovah. Because Jesus' will was to do his Father's will. He was our example to the means of serving God not of serving Jesus. But I think Jesus will accept service of him as long as that service glorifies his Father.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Jehovah bore witness to his son so that negates Jesus being the faithful witness

• blondie
    blondie

Just to add, Blondie is old and has known several of the "anointed" starting when I was 13, my grandparents generation. I even knew some Bible Students baptized in 1925 in 1932 who said they didn't think they were anointed but partook anyway because that was the only choice, They were glad in 1935 when the great multitude (crowd) was identified and explained. It wasn't until 1938 that non-anointed jws were invited to the memorial. These non-anointed jws told me that for the years from 1935 to 1938, the anointed that attended did not see a reason for them to attend the memorial.

Only anointed men held positions of congregation servant (one per congregation) and two other men to fill out the judicial committee (1952--The company (later congregation) servant, the assistant company servant, the Bible study servant). Yes, they were all called servants. Later changed to overseer in 1971.) As there were fewer anointed men, the WTS found it necessary to appoint non-anointed men.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1962762#h=25:0-30:415

It was different in those days, first only the anointed were searched for pre-1914 since the WTS thought these anointed would be going to heaven in 1914. It was only when that did not happen, that the WTS (Rutherford) started pushing for others to be searched for culminating with the new light in 1935.

How many jws today who were not alive from 1966 to 1975, or too young to understand the 1975 teaching, understand how it was in those days, compared to some of us who were present in adult form?

Well, I remember my aunt saying that she was tired of being called an associate and a companion of Jehovah's witnesses as if they weren't. She was not of the anointed, had never been. It is amazing how little some jws know of WTS history. When the Proclaimers book came out, quite a few jws read it carefully and it motivated them to leave the WTS. I was even more convinced when I read all of the WTS publications I found from the years of 1874 to 2001. It was a information overload. I am glad that it is easier to find all the flipflops during that time on www.jwfacts.com.

Thanks for you comments which have added to the overall picture.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

I say whats there in a name! (jehovahs witness)

So obviously they cant make their mind up, they dont give two hoots who they are witnesses to...All they want is their "cup is full,their table full of well-oiled dishes" (some verse in psalms says this) and last but not the least top-shelf scotch.

Zing

• waton
    waton

Interesting that jw's are supposed to witness about jesus, not so much "christ" They could argue every time they say "kingdom" they speak of Jesus the invisible king.

Early Christians were a Jewish sect, and, to mark the split, in the early days, hammered home the difference by stressing the Son rather than the old Father. now,

the jws are a sect having split off from the Churches, and they have to start stressing the Father, reverse emphasis. fighting words about an epic, talking snake story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit