JWs exist because...

by oldskool 33 Replies latest jw friends

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

The same reason any other religion exists... the appeal of choosing beliefs that best fit with how you perceive reality to be (but not how it actually is).

For most JWs, I suspect it's beliefs that best fit their wishful thinking (i.e. the paradise earth teaching being chief among them).

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Because some people like to feel like they are more special and more righteous than others, and like they have all the answers.

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray

Because people don't honestly question or reason anywhere near as much as they ought to...

• cognisonance
    cognisonance
    Because people don't honestly question or reason anywhere near as much as they ought to...

That's an understatement for sure! It's also an endemic issue in the US in general, perhaps pandemic in the world.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Also, because the 'alternative' is not that nice or attractive.

Believe me, I did in my youth try to walk away from this religion, but the awful behavior of non-JWs made me return to what I was accustomed; the "nothing is wrong as long as you're not harming anyone" attitudes and "anything goes/do not judge" way of life... I just couldn't handle it.

Ultimately, do not think I can today either. Here's is comfy and nice, so I'll stay, even with all my opposing views.

DY

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

They exist because deferring spiritual authority to others is easier than seeking answers yourself.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

JW's exist because it makes some feel important. In their life in the world, they feel like they aren't important. Being a witness makes some feel that they have power. That's why they have titles: CO's, MS's, Elders, Pioneers, Full time pioneers...etc...take those titles away...what are they....just a baptized publisher or unbaptized publisher. Take away the titles, they are just joe blow....Sorry, more than one sentence..

Tor

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

...because we all go through shit at times and if a smiling, supposedly caring person knocks on our door just then and says do you ever wonder why shit happens, we can be sucked in when we are most vulnerable.

(Pretty sure this is what happened to my mother. Alcoholic father, lost her brother in the war, unhappy marriage, lonely in new house and location. Prime target for a cult)

• sir82
    sir82

...they fill a niche for a certain sub-group of the world's population.

(If JWs immediately ceased to exist, that niche would still exist and soon be filled by another group or groups)

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

It's hard to think that there is it no after life, no dancing around in paradise, no growing

old, no singing Kingdom songs all day and no flying around in heaven.

We grow old and die and that's it, not a pleasure thought. If I'm wrong that's great,

but I have excepted that fact and fine with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit