What is the Jehovah’s Witness position on Unions and Labour action?

by hoser 21 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The Iglesia ni Cristo have a policy against trade union membership, and are know for this, and for this reason some companies prefer to employ members of the Iglesia ni Cristo church in the Philippines.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

As far as I know you cannot be part of a US-style labor union, as those are simply the (violent) enforcement arms of a (typically left-wing) political party. The main problem in US style labor unions, is that there is a requirement to vote and votes in those unions aren't protected by individual secrecy, so you cannot "spoil your vote" in a US labor union. The result is that a labor union will hold votes and ignore the result until it has the desired outcome.

I know you can join in other countries, but you cannot participate in the political processes either within the union or join political action such as picketing, although you don't have to show up to work if that action makes you unable to go to work (typically duties to 'sit out' on behalf of union leadership are spelled out in a union contract, so you have to adhere to your contract).

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The last job I had required that I be a union member that I held for 28 years .

Whenever a vote was required at any of our meetings I always abstained much to the annoyance of my comrades.

The penny never seemed to drop when a vote was ever required at a KH though ?

• UBERWitless
    UBERWitless

I'm sorry to bust your bubble Rocketman123 but Unions are not all that and a bag of chips.

There are some good replies here that actually address the OPs question.

I however support a free enterprise system and love right to work.

Unions can pound sand.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I was working I belonged to the union. It was not mandatory but was a good idea given our low opinion of the Company bosses. There were no JW issues, I took part in ballots .We used the option not to pay a levy to the UK Labour Party.

I suppose if I had become Union Rep it may have been different.

• hoser
    hoser

A union is a marketing board. The product collectively is labour. I see no difference than belonging to a coop.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Unless the drunken paedo protectors, AKA the GB obtain lots of money, the answer to any question is always, 'No!'

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

I'm sorry to bust your bubble Rocketman123 but Unions are not all that and a bag of chips.

Than you should move to China and other places around the world that have forced labor where there are no unions.

Extremely low pay, no health benefits, no nothing, close to slavery, where the top company owners make all the money.

Here in North America labor unions have made living conditions much better for a broad spectrum and they are in many professions such as teaching, police work, Nursing , Construction, Fire and safety, Ambulance services etc.

So are you a small time company owner who's basically selfish and apathetic toward others ?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@rocketman: unions brought us Detroit, Chicago, artificial shortages, seniority based promotion and low pay for teachers, police and hospital staff.

As a result police, teachers and hospitals are low quality. It’s the same reason building contractors get a bad name for ripping people off, the reason plumbers have to charge exorbitant fees to the customer.

In all cases, private industry has done a lot better. The world has been asking for electric cars, they got killed off on behalf of unions several times in the 70s, in the 90s, Tesla doesn’t have them for a reason because all GM can do is produce the Bolt. Even foreign makers that have had full electric for nearly 20 years abroad, Nissan and Toyota refused to make full-electric, instead producing expensive hybrids with dual drivetrains for the US market. Because unions are afraid that simpler cars mean less jobs.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I have a low opinion of AFL-CIO unions in the U.S. I took a job that such a union "represented" the employees. The union did nothing but took $50.00 every 2 weeks from us and used the money to back political candidates we did not support. I created an employee run union to replace it. 100% of the dues went to the efforts to represent the employees. Things turned out for the better almost immediately.

Remember, "right to work" also means "at-will employment". That is a scary thing to be subjected to as a police officer. Be fired at any time without cause is a career ender when it takes 6 months to a year from the time of application to get hired.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit