Daughter doesn't want me to push my beliefs on her

by jws 28 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

To answer other questions. No, she was not raised a JW. *I* left the JWs over 10 years before she was even born. Her mom was never a JW. She's mostly been raised without religion. Even the ex wasn't very religious except when she was having trouble with miscarriages. Then she felt she had to go to church. But once she got far enough along in a pregnancy, she quit wanting to go.

Her mom (the ex) kind of wanted the kids to start going to church maybe 5 years ago. I raised my objections, but also told her that when they're over by her, it's not my call. We can discuss and let each other know how we feel about it, but she can make whatever decisions she wants. If she wants to bring them to a church, that's up to her. Wasn't thrilled, but they are her kids too and it was her decision. But, she's too lazy to take the time out of her own doings to take them.

And like I said above, other friends have taken her to their church functions. And I stood by and let them go without a word. Not criticizing, not trying to get her to stop. She had fun, but I wasn't thrilled with it - worried she would be seduced by it. All I did was ask how it was, what did you do, etc. Like I might with anything she went to like a school field trip.

@Nevuella

Perhaps I should qualify. There is no evidence of anything supernatural. Like anything in science. You can speculate. That's what expands our knowledge. Then you test or search and look for evidence. If it's not there, you readjust or abandon it.

We know that evolution happens. And there are trillions of planets out there. Life could be out there. Based on the principle that if it can happen once, given trillions of possibilities over billions of years, it could happen again. We can see here on earth where some civilizations develop faster. Hell, who knows where our own civilization might be if religion hadn't slowed it down? So could there be an advanced race out there? It is possible. But a natural, evolved one. So there is the "possibility" of a race we might call gods. So in that sense, I am agnostic. To say that isn't possible would be atheist in my view.

If we ever prove any supernatural phenomenon, then we can explore those possibilities. But until then, let's not waste our time going that route to explain our world.

James Randi had a 1 million dollar prize and it might be more now. For any testable supernatural phenomenon. Where it can be proved to work. It is unclaimed. Big money for those who think it's real. Unclaimed.

• Onager
    Onager

Randi's book Flim Flam played a part in my awakening. It made me start thinking in a more sceptical, analytical, way. Plus it's a really entertaining read!

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

"You catch more flies with jam than you do with vinegar."

Wow, Landy, your hypocrisy never fails to amaze me. You were inexcusably rude from your very first interaction with me on this site, and here you have the audacity to preach to someone else about how they should treat their daughter. Wow. Just wow.

• steve2
    steve2

Wow, Landy, your hypocrisy never fails to amaze me. You were inexcusably rude from your very first interaction with me on this site, and here you have the audacity to preach to someone else about how they should treat their daughter. Wow. Just wow.

Looks like left-over stuff that is pretty upsetting to you, Nevuela? Is this referring to exchanges on other threads?

I acknowledge I don't know what went down, but to bring it up on another thread in which the other person comments does raise the question of whether you need to find another way to resolve it or let it go because to pursue the other person for a matter related to other threads distracts from the current OP.

• Landy
    Landy

<waves>

My 'inexcusably rude' thread https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6328855631495168/ponderings-worldly-person

• eva luna
    eva luna

I keep this quote in mind with teenagers and many personality types [my own included].

'the less someone says, the harder to forget'

• jws
    jws

And another interesting twist. And I don't know where it will go. For one of her class projects, the kids had to pick 2 religions from out of a hat. And then sum up and compare the two. The two she picked are Christianity and Shinto.

And other than knowing it's an Eastern religion, I know nothing about Shinto. So we looked it up and found out it's Japanese. She's very into anime right now and the thought of having to report on something from the country that brought the world anime really sparked her interest.

Not sure she's going to want to join it. But she is happy to be reporting on it. This may or not bring up further discussions on religion and Wicca.

And I have no idea what Nevuela and and Landy are fighting about. Landy seems to have good advice. And BTW, Landy, to answer your question she's 14. Yes, a lot different dynamics than if she were adult.

And thank you Steve2 for your insights and moderating.

• Landy
    Landy

And BTW, Landy, to answer your question she's 14.

A fantanstic age for hormones and confusion!

As Steve says, above keep those lines of communication open. She can't take your advice if she's not speeaking to you! Good luck and I hope it pans out.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

You want her to be a critical thinker which she isn't but you can't just teach that, she has to want to do it for herself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit