slimboyfat joins the Methodists!

by slimboyfat 18 Replies latest members politics

• steve2
    steve2

It makes me wonder what happens to church property when membership dwindles. Are Methodist churches locally owned or centrally governed? Some of the old churches look beautifully preserved.

• compound complex
    compound complex

steve2:

I cannot answer your question; however, my former beautiful church (where I attended in the 1950s) had been razed long ago. When I returned to that location, pictured above, as a young adult, the steeple was lying on the pavement. I cannot recall if the new building had already been erected when I was gazing in sorrowful wonder.

In any event, the replacement is a monstrosity, my childhood image of a noble building equated with worship of God quashed.

Of course, JWs know that God hates steeples . . .

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think the money probably helps to pay ministers’ stipends and other church employees. But I don’t know. It’s something I’d like to find out.

• knowsnothing1
    knowsnothing1

Hi SBF, all Orthodox churches are unique. For one, you'll have different languages such as Greek, Russian, Romanian, Coptic, Ethiopian, etc. Even within the same languages, each church has a different flavor. I believe the one I went to was rather unique. It was visited by one of the Russian Orthodox patriarchs (a high ranking member). I don't think all Orthodox churches offer a meal after service. They do allow anyone in, but you wouldn't be able to participate of communion.

Have you tried any Evangelical churches, if there are even any around you? I'd love it if you wrote about the Pentecostals, but if your safety is at risk and your being stalked, then I understand you not wanting to share. It's sad how people can be so easily misled to follow men. It's also sad how people saying they represent God take advantage of the sheep.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I’ve attended a number of United Methodist churches here in Virginia. It was reasonably attended with an awesome pipe organ and a chorus. I loved the procession they would do at the beginning.

One Methodist church had a gay pastor. A churchgoer who introduced me to him made sure to make this clear. I think since I was there by myself, she just assumed I was too.

I attended a Old Testament study…and they overviewed Isaiah and brought up Deutro-Isaiah, ect…they didn’t shy away from the facts about how it was put together.

#

In regard Pentecostals, I’ve had experience with them as a teenager. They are cult-like and some can be full blown cults. The difference is JWs tend to be dull as wallpaper, devoid of emotions, can be pseudo-intellectual, and do not promise any miracles--whereas Pentecostals are 100% about emotional romps and abound in stories of healings, miracles, exorcisms, tongues, prophesies, ect…

When I was 17, I was seduced by this. I started secretly attending my schoolmate’s church, hoping to see a miracle or something that I did not see in the Kingdom Hall. My schoolmate’s words to me when I asked questions was, “Don’t think, just believe.” He was full of stories, which in the end, were just that.

This exploration got cut short when I got caught. My father told me he was going to kick me out the moment I turned 18. And then they called the elders. They “corrected” my thinking, so I stayed a JW, and didn’t get kicked out of the house. Of course, I believe had I pursued the Pentecostal religion, it would’ve been out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Anyway, a few years ago, a friend invited me to a cookout that a person he knew was hosting. All he and I thought was this was going to be was a cookout. It turned out to be a Pentecostal gathering where someone started preaching. And even before their conversations turned to Matthew 24 and the signs of the last days…it was very familiar territory. *eyeroll*

BTW…from what I understand, Pentecostals branched off more than a century ago from the Methodists movement.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I'm doing research on Methodist Episcopal.

Until I looked up my childhood church yesterday, I had always thought it was Wesleyan. I had no idea it was connected to the Episcopal Church, into which I had been christened as a baby.

Thanks, SBF.

Update: Wesleyan withdrew from ME in 1841.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I thoroughly enjoyed and found informative and appreciate this post and the other similar ones you've made lately.

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks SBF and coco. Many rural communities around New Zealand have small wooden churches erected between 1940 and the 1860s when the land was in the early stages of British colonization, some were Methodist churches, but mainly Anglican (Episcopal) and Presbyterian. The local communities now have volunteers who preserve the buildings and some are still used as community halls. Of note, Catholic churches in those same communities are usually more imposing and solidly built (rock and stucco compositions). Relics to a bygone age.

• steve2
    steve2

Error: I meant they were built between 1840 and the 1860s.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit