The "apostacy stigmatisation" of doing research!

by stuckinarut2 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Research" has been a dirty word to JWs for a looooooong time.

x

I still remember the first time my fellow fader wife used it in a non-derogatory way (with regards to learning the TTATT).

It was a very cool little moment. :sunglasses:

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It baffles me still....

At any opportunity, witnesses will proudly exclaim that "we are the best educated people in the world"...and yet, doing balanced, in depth research in any external form is condemned!

They even admit that it might "shake one's faith" if they read anything from non-witness sources!

Yes...WHY is that? Hmmm...

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Brother you are dipping your toes in the dangerous waters of "Independent Thinking" don't you know that's what got Adam and Eve in trouble?

Please let 7 people you don't know think for you. It's what dog wants.

:)

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

My kids google everything. When we are watching a movie and they want to know a actors name they google, if they hear of a place they are not familiar with they google. I make it a habit to always say google it........ research it.

The society could easily control the older generation who viewed the internet as evil but the new generation is a different story. The internet is knowledge, no one owns a encyclopedia set any more, dictionary's are obsolete. The most powerful tool known to mankind in the 21 century fits in the palm of your hand. If I had the internet when I was growing up, I'm certain I would of left in my early twenties.

The admonition in the last Watchtower makes that clear: At that time, the lifesaving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. (4) Now is the time for any who may be putting their trust in secular education, material things, or human institutions to adjust their thinking. The elders must stand ready to help any who may now be wavering in their faith.” (w13 11/15 p.20)

The internet is exposing all there lies at a click of a button, looks like the tables are turning...and there scared.

• cha ching
    cha ching

so true, StuckinaRut2! I always wondered "how does the Society get to look things up in "worldly sources". quote them, and decide which to use, or not to use.

Let's just say, "double standards" and "hypocrites."

;-)

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

then, you print this article up, and use it as ammo...lol

“Is it reasonable to assume that the religion imposed at one’s birth is necessarily the whole truth?” Thus, every person is encouraged to examine other religions with an open mind.”
    — Watchtower, The Watchtower, April 1, 1991, page 17

oh really? that one way open mind? lol

oh, but wait, they have an answer for those super busy jws ... let the wt think for you.

"But in Jehovah’s organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to that very thing, to help you who do not have so much time for this, these preparing the good material in The Watchtower and other publications of the Society.”
    — Watchtower, The Watchtower, June 1, 1967, page 338

they describe themselves word for word here,

awake 1970 april 22 pg 8,
    "Why is there this decline in religion?
    One of the reasons is that people are disturbed by what is happening in their churches.[KHALLS] Yes, millions of persons have been shocked to learn that things they were taught as being vital for salvation are now considered by their church to be wrong. Have you, too, felt discouragement, or even despair, because of what is happening in your church? A businessman in Medellín, Colombia, expressed the effect the changes have had on many.
    “Tell me,” he asked,“how can I have confidence in anything? How can I believe in the Bible, in God, or have faith? Just ten years ago we Catholics [OR JW'S] had the absolute truth, we put all our faith in this. Now the pope and our priests are telling us this is not the way to believe any more, but we are to believe ‘new things.’ How do I know the ‘new things’ will be the truth in five years?” Awake 1970 Apr 22 p.8

Well, I guess its all just a big social club now, an excuse to dress up. no one with a thinking brain can stand the teachings anymore, which is why so many stuck in's are thrilled to have a tablet and wifi at meetings, lol....

• millie210
    millie210

That is a good point Blondie made about the shift since the early 80s. I have seen that play out in the look and feel of the literature and in conversations but I hadnt put it together as to why.... 

The ONLY good thing I can see about the dumbing down of the JWs is in the natural progression of things, you will end up with only dummies.

Thinking people will not be attracted in to joining a religion of dummies even with the shiny hook of he literature cart and the veneer of international brotherhood.

Eventually the content of the "hooks" will drop (it already is) and the hooks wont work either.

So dull ineffective hooks and if a person happens to stumble in to a KH then a lot of people who are in the lowest echelon of intellectual ability, all gathered together.

alrighty then!

• cha ching
    cha ching

Thx for the quotes, sowhatnow!

Yes, millions of persons have been shocked to learn that things they were taught as being vital for salvation are now considered by their church to be wrong...... Can we say "type/ anti-type" "Stay alive till 75?" "Before the end of the century we will see the fullfilment of God's kingdom ruling"

especially this one:

But in Jehovah’s organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to that very thing

Like you said: "Well, I guess its all just a big social club now, an excuse to dress up"

I had a brother/ elder tell me this directly, when I told him I liked his tie/outfit... in a hushed, blushedy snicker, "You know, I just looooove dressin' up!"

Yep, dressin' up!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great society quotes sowhatnow! Thanks for sharing!

There is a famous quote from an author named Aldous Huxley:

"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

any such questioning as "apostate", is tragic.

But understandable based where and how this religious publishing organization got started through its alluring deviously devised doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit