Intelligent design thought.

by Crazyguy 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    Since no one knows how we got here, why we are here, and how long we will be here, one persons guess is as good as another's.

We do know the answer to the first of those questions - all life evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years.

The second one isn't a sensible question - there is no "why"?

The third is an open question.

• prologos
    prologos
    We do know the answer to the first of those questions - all life evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years

Yes, but that not still leaves a lot to answer, in that first part, from the inorganic, pre-abiogenesis stage, back into time, even beyond our universes' beginning?

• schnell
    schnell

Yes, but that doesn't mean fill the gaps with God. I'm okay with a myth if it's not taken as a dogmatic fact, but don't make me believe it's either true or any less interesting than science.

This is why I sort of go back and forth about the Brahman idea of Hinduism and Buddhism. It's an interesting concept, considering we're made of stardust and the most common elements in the universe, but I don't have to be super serious about it.

• Simon
    Simon
    one persons guess is as good as another's

That's completely untrue. For instance, I would take Neil deGrasse Tyson's "guess" over Trump's any day. Although the latter would probably claim to be the greatest guesser there's ever been in the history of the universe.

• prologos
    prologos
    Yes, but that doesn't mean fill the gaps with God.

If there is a creator, the gaps were/are filled by/with god anyway, it is just that we, cleverly, have discovered how it was done. dis-cover = taking off the cover and peek. By looking at the results though, we can perhaps have a guess at the personality, the motive of a possible creator. The oldest covers are already beyond our horizon, defined by "c" to peek at.

• schnell
    schnell

That's circular reasoning, prologos. I have to first accept the premise that there is a creator, and that is highly improbable. If there is a creator, at what point does it step in and create? And furthermore, the idea of a creator implies an infinite regress: Who created the creator? Who created that creator? Who created that creator? And so on and so on, like a flat Earth on a stack of turtles.

• schnell
    schnell

And furthermore, the idea of a creator implies an infinite regress: Who created the creator? Who created that creator? Who created that creator? And so on and so on, like a flat Earth on a stack of turtles.

(I tried to edit this addition into my previous reply, but the forum seems to be wonky about edits at times. Apologies if anyone sees it twice.)

• prologos
    prologos

schnell, the existence of creation argues for a creator, creation started at a point in time 13.8 billion years ago. Before that time, time was not schnell, but stationary and seemingly eternal. If there was no movement through the 4th dimension time, no causality as we know it now need to exist, and then an eternal creator would not need a cause. Many hypotheses about the origin of our particular universe now imply the pre-existence of time as a dimension and uf energy.

It is not time that is schnell, but we are. We are moving through time, schnell at any speed slower than c. The schneller we move through space the slower we move through time.

• schnell
    schnell

Does it argue for a creator, or does it argue for a cause?

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

What we call laws of physics were made somewhere around the very beginnings of the big bang I'm told and that our universe could very well be just one of an infinite number of universes with an infinite number of different laws of physics and an infinite number with the same laws, and an infinite number where all of us are having this same discussion and saying exactly the same thing(parallel universes).

Smaller size infinities within bigger infinities, infinities up the yin yang/wazoo.

Or maybe this universe is just a high tech quantum computer simulation in the room of some pimply face adolescent kid who in turn is in a computer simulation and as Buzz Lightyear would say this goes on "to infinity and beyond."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit