"back in the day people didn't know not to abuse kids"- a jw explanation for their abuse scandal

by purrpurr 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

A few weeks back I showed the guardian article about the Borg refusing to cooperate with the charity commission into child abuse to a fellow jw. Their response was quite amazing. They told me that in the 50s-80s people didn't know about child abuse, didn't know it was wrong and no one really believed children when they claimed they had been abused - even worldly people.

They said that alot of the time children lie about being abused or therapists plant false memories in their heads and that apostates lie about being abused to undermine our faith.

About the Borg not cooperating with the commission they said that it was probably because they wanted to protect the identities of jw's who had been abused. They also said that it was Satan who was behind the commission and that not cooperating was a way of protecting the society from them/Satan.

They also claimed that other churches are refusing to cooperate with the commission too.

Although they agreed that it looks like the JW's have something to hide.

They claimed that all that child abuse stuff happened in the past and doesn't happen now. The society has never told elders not to go to the police and that elders who haven't have decided that on their own.

Of course I shot down most of these arguments and finally they said that it boiled down to one thing... that we should trust in Jehovah's organisation and if we do then we won't pay attention to these discouraging reports...

It was a real exercise in idiocy and CD!

• Tallon
    Tallon

A typical JW response when the Organisation has been called out - always in denial and always playing the victim. People throughout the ages have known that child abuse is morally wrong.

Good for you purrpurr for telling this individual a few hard hitting truths. Hopefully it will wake this person up.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    They claimed that all that child abuse stuff happened in the past and doesn't happen now.

Yes a JW friend said the same to me. I wrote to her 'please tell me you know about the ARC into organisational child abuse including the JWs and the Charity Commission's enquiry here in the U.K.'. Her reply? She sent me a Return to Jehovah brochure.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

They told me that in the 50s-80s people didn't know about child abuse, didn't know it was wrong - this is complete and utter bullshit.

People know that child abuse is very wrong. Plus, in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s there were more than a few WT articles condemning the Catholic Church for its child abuse scandals.

The UK legal age of sexual consent (16 years old) has been in place for about 100 years.

If the JWs admit they have a problem with child abuse in the organisation, there might be a chance they could fix it ...

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I have heard and seen so many of these stories about denial with the JW's. I have also seen some complain later on about some unjust outcome of an issue. The change.....it happened to THEM. It's funny how they change their tune when the shoe is on the other foot.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

LoveUni - "If the JWs admit they have a problem with child abuse in the organisation, there might be a chance they could fix it..."

Never gonna happen.

The reforms that would be needed to fix the problem would cause even more problems, from their POV.

More and more, I suspect that they're just hunkering down to wait out the storm in the hopes that God will kickstart the Big A to bail them out.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

They claimed that all that child abuse stuff happened in the past and doesn't happen now.

Quite a stupid unfounded claim, doesn't this woman read or listen to the latest information in the media and not by opposing apostates, of child abuse within the organization recently and to date ?

There are thousands of cases documented that the WTS has or did have until this open inquiry started.

Typical same old white wash cover up that JWS are indoctrinated to do to uphold their organization (Jehovah's earthly organization )

How about the latest and recent initiative by the WTS through a letter to all elders to destroy any documents congregations might have upon individuals who were mentioned or accused of sexually abusing children.

• Heaven
    Heaven

LoveUni - "If the JWs admit they have a problem with child abuse in the organisation, there might be a chance they could fix it..."

Vidiot said: Never gonna happen.

Vidiot is correct. Watchtower is not going to veer from the Patriarchal model as outlined in the Bible because the ones in power in the Borg would lose said power. It would also prop up the increasing discord that Jehovah really isn't directly involved with this Religion, that it really is NOT his chosen organization on Earth.

I made the following 2 images.

The 1st one is from a post Outlaw made back when the ARC was on. In this image the gentleman on the left is the Honourable Justice Peter McClellan AM, Chair of the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and Judge of Appeal in New South Wales. Geoffrey Jackass Jackson is on the right.

The 2nd is my own creation based on something Angus Stewart said during the Arc:

Botchtower is not going to stand down the male power model, isolation, and repressive sexual norms they have instituted because they claim they would be violating God's sanctioned setup in the Bible. They will only change when they are forced to do it legally.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Quite a stupid unfounded claim, doesn't this woman read or listen to the latest information in the media and not by opposing apostates, of child abuse within the organization recently and to date ?

I live in a country very closely connected with Australia, and there was absolutly nothing reported of this here. Zip, zero, nada. The only way you would know about this in the R&F would be through apostate channels. One would think with with a court case it would be pretty black and white but not so in the jw mind. I tried with my father to show him the Conti case. I was of course told it was apostate. I replied by saying I didn't realize that the New York Times was apostate. I was then told to not read overseas news papers because this was confusing me. How do you reason with someone like that. I have come to realize that it won't be until watchtower is forced to print a front page article admitting liability that the R&F will finally accept there is a problem or the scope of it.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

They told me that in the 50s-80s people didn't know about child abuse, didn't know it was wrong and no one really believed children when they claimed they had been abused - even worldly people.

I do know that in the United States there were absolutely no legal protection against children abuse. It was so bad that in the first case of child abuse that made it to court, the prosecution had to use laws to protect animals and try to demonstrate that the abused child fell into the protected animal category and therefore the animal anti-abuse law protected the child. Yes, there were laws that protected animals in USA before there were laws that protected children.

Today the WT still can't care less about children. All the actions they take are forced actions by the law and are taken to protect themselves, not for the benefit of children.

They have no interest in children's well being. As I have posted before, look how all the children are never removed when they are talking about all the adult themes that they talk about in their meetings. Just go to one meeting and start counting the number of things that children should not be exposed to that they talk about.

The WT has never cared about the well being of children, period.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit