Were visits to the library an important part of your childhood?

by compound complex 23 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

"Does visits to the kingdom hall library count also?"- I only saw a kh library once and it only had about 3 books in it, if that. That was many years ago. I thought it very odd and didn't know if they hid them because I was going to be there or what. I have no idea why that kh library had no books. Do kh libraries have books today? tough to have their revisionist history with old books lying around.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Grew up with a Carnegie library. Loved the old architecture. Mine is still there but I don't live close now. The bigger libraries have become hangouts for homeless, as long as they read and don't sleep.

• Half banana
    Half banana

The local library was my alma mater. I was about eleven and trying to stretch my knowledge horizon I took out a book on quantum mechanics. I returned it a week or two later absolutely none the wiser, in fact I felt defeated.

I love being surrounded by books. I have spent many hours in the wonderful and famous libraries including the Bodleian in Oxford and the British Library when it used to be in the British museum. I recall it only had seven million books then but now it has many more than the Bodleian's twelve million.

Oak shelves polished by use bearing sumptuous leather bound tomes row upon row... the works of Britain's finest thoughtsmiths who themselves wrote and researched there. Ahh, deep joy!

• compound complex
    compound complex

I love being surrounded by books. . . . Oak shelves polished by use bearing sumptuous leather bound tomes row upon row... the works of Britain's finest thoughtsmiths who themselves wrote and researched there. Ahh, deep joy! -- Half banana

Your words, H b, are deep joy!

Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit