Home bookstudy ended because of 'independent study' groups? Any interesting stories regarding these types of groups?

by Nicodemus Kathoplizo 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nicodemus Kathoplizo
    Nicodemus Kathoplizo

Someone suggested the other day that the home bookstudy meeting ended because of 'independent study' groups (in Ireland) going 'off the reservation' and left The Truth (TM).

Has anyone heard of this before?

Does anyone have interesting stories of 'independent study' groups resulting in large scale apostasy?

They did not publish this for no reason:

http://www.jwfacts.com/images/kingdom-ministry-sep-2007-p4.jpg

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I know that it was brought out in the early 1980 ' s that there were independent study groups even Dunlap one of the main writers at watchtower was involved and when they kicked him out he apparently continued with some of these study groups. I believe I read this in the book Crisis of Conscience

• Nicodemus Kathoplizo
    Nicodemus Kathoplizo

That is absolutely correct. They banned 'Barnes Notes" in Bethel

• Hecce
    Hecce

What I heard regarding this was that one of the reasons for the change was related to legal ramifications and the lack of control of the places were the meetings were conducted vs the KH.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

What I heard regarding this was that one of the reasons for the change was related to legal ramifications and the lack of control of the places were the meetings were conducted vs the KH.

Lota reasons, and also: more than too many meetings a week.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I was told by someone pretty high up in Bethel that one of the reasons for ending meetings at homes dealt with Liability issues dealing with accidents and injuries.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I think part of the reason was to allow more occupancy of Kingdom Halls. Every congregation would have a group at the hall taking up a night a week.

• prologos
    prologos

k 99: "Every congregation would have a group at the hall taking up a night a week.. as part of the dispersed small book study groups there was one for each congregations at the hall, for disfellowshipped and nearby jws. now with the study as the final part of a weekday meeting, there was no need for that arrangement, all come to the hall, combined with the then school and service meeting.

• smiddy
    smiddy

They couldn`t condone independant study groups , because they may come up with more plausible explanations of the scriptures than what they did., we cant have that, they thought that will undermine our authority .

And that could cause a schism .

And apparently that was happening , hence the crackdown against them.

smiddy

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Just read the KM link, thanks for posting. This is rather worrying. So if i want to meet up with brother X and go to a certain museum and study the original greek version of the bible and have theological discussion about it.... im not supposed to?

Shouldnt i treasure knowledge?

Proverbs 18:13 When anyone replies to a matter before he hears the facts, It is foolish and humiliating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit