"Not of Our Sort" Part I

by TMS 20 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

I am an old man.

This is a topic I have been comtemplating for some time as I continue in this transitional time of my life, reminiscing about my 50+ years with what some of you call the "borg", but I simply refer to as Jehovah's Witnesses.

Good people I have known who loved God, but did not fit into the organizational scheme of things is the topic. There will be at least three parts a la Amazing.

This topic will sink out of sight like a rock, but it is therapeutic to write it and the contemplation brings a smile to my face.

My first subject is B.W.

B.W. was the least likely Witness prospect you have ever encountered. He left home at 14, working in carnivals as a barker. He fought at Iwo Jima and Northern Africa in WWII. He was affluent in middle age, a chain smoker and a heavy drinker.

His first encounter with JW's was early 60's, obtaining "Your Will Be Done on Earth". He became mesmorized by Daniel's prophecy, especially pertaining to first century men who perceived that John the Baptist might possibly be the Christ by the chronology.

He agreed to study with a gifted Special Pioneer, who had just been assigned to circuit work. We took over the study as best we could. A study with B.W. was a marathon, going hours into the night, extended by his multitude of questions and his gracious hospitality. After prayer, he would offer a glass of red wine, which he would never allow to empty. Ham on rye with avocado. More red wine. You get the point. He had an insatiable thirst for knowledge and our age difference was immaterial to him.

B.W. did not merely "attend" a meeting. He literally burst onto the scene, instantly a player, although he was never regarded as a legitimate Witness. He commented profusely from the get-go and knew what he was talking about. He read the entire Bible. He read the "Aid" book from A-G,(all that was available at that point) He figured the chronology should point to 1974, not 1975, based on his calculations. He witnessed to all his chronies in the business world. His car would be at the Town Hall restaurant hours every night. He could be found at a table, buying dinner for businessmen, NWT on the table, waxing eloquent about Daniel and all he had learned.

He traded in his Cadillac for two Opels. He would drive one in service and the other would be available for another car group.

No Witness need went unfulfilled if B.W. learned about it. When he learned a widow sister's roof leaked, he had materials delivered and a crew there in the morning.

Yet he still smoked and drank heavily and bemoaned his weakness. In those days, smoking would not prevent one from baptism. He lit up a big cigar after his immersion and went in service, Bible in hand.

When the persecution in Liberia broke out in the early 60's, he cabled the Watchtower Society. He had contacts in that area and could help. "No thanks", they replied. When the Malawian situation was detailed, he was livid. While most of us were writing letters of protest, he was requesting a formal meeting with the Malawian regime, "any place, any time".

All of the brothers knew that B.W. had a "heart of gold", but never fully accepted him. The circuit overseer, who gladly accepted a case of fine whiskey B.W. smuggled over the border, informed B.W. that his dream of pioneering would never be realized as long as he smoked.

This man, with all his obvious weaknesses, was one of the finest men I have ever known. He NEVER memorized a 30-60 second presentation, but went to the door with only a Bible, dressed in a $500 suit. He was generous to a fault. If a householder had a material need, it was satisfied. If a brother in the congregation had a need, it was satisfied. He knew he was a sinner, worthy of nothing.

B.W. was disfellowshipped for smoking in the early 70's when the policy changed. He died in that state. He never complained. His ex-wife, who divorced him when he became a Witness, expressed extreme bitterness, that this man, who gave so much of himself to an organization, could be treated in such a way.

He was just "not of our sort".

TMS

• Gopher
    Gopher

TMS,

Wow! We can rest assured that what counts is how people like B.W. are judged by Christ, rather than by an organization. That organization trains people in simplistic judging & dismissal of very good people. "Not of OUR sort", I can just hear people in the organization saying that about those of us who are no longer with them, although who cares what people say?

Your post supports two ideas:

(1) The JW organization cannot hold onto its best and brightest.
    (2) No good deed goes unpunished there.

Thanks for sharing the story of B.W.

• zev
    zev

as with so many of the stories i've read here of late, truely touching. thank you.

__
    zev
    Now feeling the pain of sitting on the pickets class.

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Wow!

Now that's impressive to say the least...

I'm sure he made it to heaven.. Wonder how the organization harmonizes a non witness who is annointed <ROFL>...

• somebody
    somebody

TMS,

Thank you for sharing with us the story of what a kind and generous man your friend was. It's a shame and heartbreaking the state that he was left to die in, by his congregation. Even though he never complained, he must have had his fears about being a disfellowshipped person when he was on his deathbed. He probably just kept them to himself.

peace,
    somebody

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

TMS,

Thanks for sharing your remembrances of your friend with us. The thought that struck me while I was reading (I should say...ONE of the thoughts) was how truly good people do seem to go unnoticed in the congs. At least, that was my experience. And that realization helped me when I was making the break from the borg....that there were good people everywhere, I had only to raise my eyes and my awareness to find them...

Thans again,

Save

"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."
    Somebody else

• Jang
    Jang

All I can do is weep .....

I saw a sister treated like that too ...... She would be there for any sister who needed help after illness of havign a baby or whatever .... nothing was too much for her to do ..... she would turn up with a week's groceries for a family down and out and would purchase clothing for their children out of her own pocket. She was married to a very abusive man who was always beating her, but she was't permitted to leave him for her own protection. She was often in hospital as a result of her injuries. One day, after she had been in hospital for three days, the elders turned up at her home unannounced to talk to her. She had had a couple of glasses of wine and was definitely a little under the weather. She told them that she had started drinking a little bit more during the day to help her cope. She was promptly disfellowshipped!

JanG

• qwerty
    qwerty

TMS

Brilliant, I am printing a copy off for the wife to read!

Examples like this are one of the reasons why I could not except the Organisation to be God's mouth piece. Because the Organisation condems all other christian as not worthy, always as and still does make me angry!

"Not of our sort".... my Father in Law, who is an Elder uses this saying for anyone who as become former witness. Little does he know even though I still attend meetings (because of family) and have an out ward appearance that I am a JW, I am "Not of their sort" because I have differant views on scripture to them, although still a Christian. It's very upsetting to think if I did walk out, or make a stand for Christ, that is what I will be called!

qwerty

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day wanna,

Wonder how the organization harmonizes a non witness who is annointed
    Who says they (borg-ites) will be there?

"For many deceivers have gone forth into the world, persons not confessing Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist......Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son." (2 John 7-10)

Ozzie

• LDH
    LDH

What a kick in the teeth.

Although I never knew him personally, suffice it to say his story reminds ALL of us of that someone in our cong who was always doing things for the less fortunate, but never 'in' with the 'in' crowd.

Sigh.

Lisa
    (Happy to be of the 'out' crowd)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit