New Converts: When Does It Start?

by Cold Steel 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Johnny Normal is watching television one day when he hears a knock at the door. Answering it he sees two Jehovah's Witnesses clutching bibles; and one a brief case. Over the next few months things are going well. He's had a number of bible studies and is buying into the organization. At 23 years old he's in a good school studying astrophysics. My question is, when does the Society begin to interfere in his life and future plans?

I've heard that it's not unusual for the elders and even general members to offer...umm...unsolicited advice on wholly temporal matters. And that seeking higher education is frowned upon by the leadership of the Society.

So when is Johnny Normal ready for some counseling? And why do regular JWs feel they can interfere with trivial matters that are none of their business?

Any examples anyone can share?

• silvia
    silvia
    I was a senior in college and they suggested that I finish my education. The elders do get in your business. I believe they mean well. I'm sure others have a different story than mine. I admit that I was totally surprised when I was advised to finish school.
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    silvia - did they suggest to finish the senior year but not carry on further to masters+?
  • silvia
    silvia

We never talked about more education. I did get the vibe that I should be satisfied with a Bachelor's. A master+ would be a waste of resources from what I picked up on.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Haha! Cold Steel

Johnny Normal is watching television one day when he hears a knock at the door. ... Any examples anyone can share?

Yeah! I've heard of some.

These blokes were working one day, and a guy comes past and says:

"Come, follow me, and I will send you out to fish for people."

So they left their work and went off with him and became itinerant preachers, living rather lousy lives and in the end they got executed for their troubles.

Should the bloke that told them to do that, have done so?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

COLD STEEL:

In my case, the unwanted and intrusive advice about my secular work and telling me to "quit" started early on while I was studying (I was a young adult with a full-time job.)

For the life of me, I could not figure out why it was so "unacceptable" that I had a full-time job. I was clean, decent, minded my own business and never bothered anybody or asked for anything.

Many of these people were older, some retired or close to it. Some came into the religion AFTER they earned their living. In some cases a "worldly" man worked 40 years to provide some over-righteous sister a living. Well, what was everybody ELSE, namely younger people, supposed to do about earning money???

I realized, in my case, it had to do with their unhealthy attitudes towards women.

This religion is damaging, but it is potentially more damaging to a young single woman If she has no family there...There will be nobody looking out FOR her - only to do something TO her or try to exploit her in some way!...This is the ugly reality about this religion.

Long story short: I am retired now and am thankful I followed my gut instincts and ignored these bastards' unwise advice!

• atomant
    atomant
    Research this site and all your questions will be answered.Once armed with this information ask the witnesses for answers at the next study.Good luck.
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

I was strong-armed into quitting my job (which I dearly loved, even to this day). This was about 6-8 months into "studying."

A friend was pressured into marrying someone he didn't really love (Jehovah will make it work).

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I know of someone who turned-down a lucrative career as a doctor from an elder's advice in the 1980's. This young man was just a couple of years off from becoming a doctor, to only be duped into giving up a career as a doctor.

Ultimately, he quit his studies to pursue ''spiritual'' things. He pursued ''spiritual'' things and was never really used by the congregation in any capacity. This man went on to work at Walmart since the mid 1980's after quitting University and is still at Walmart to this day from what I understand.

Ironically the Elder who duped this young man to quit University for ''spiritual'' things got disfellowshipped 5 years later. He got df'd for leaving his wife to go live with his boyfriend as a common-law couple.

This young man who quit University was never able to pick-up on his University Studies as a Doctor was never really able to get back into it. He has worked at Walmart full time and does other odd jobs on the side just to make ends meet and is struggling big, big time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit