Supplements and Vitamins

by JH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• obiwan
    obiwan

I agree with you Fannie, for the most part. People who have a sedintary life really don't need alot. If you are someone who is very active, goes to the gym, jogs, or has a physical job then you do need more. I do go to the gym, I take a time released multivitamin, vitamin c 500mg, and calcium/magnesium 500mg. If you take the basics such as these, you won't harm yourself. There are other vitamins you can get too much of, vitamin b, potasium, just to name a few.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I take a multi-vitamin and a calcium pill, usually washed down with a double espresso. That works!

Nina

• Mulan
    Mulan

My father was a Naturopathic Physician before he retired so we always took lots of supplements. He also owned a Health Food store for many years. We believe in them totally. While both of my parents have had some health issues over the years, both are in amazing health and they are 90 and 91. Neither of them have heart problems or any signs of cancer. Dad's medical doctor has him taking B12 now to keep his blood healthy, and to ward off pernicious anemia, a B12 deficiency ailment. Because of their ages, they are quite frail, but they are alive and kicking, and still take handfuls of supplements everyday, both of them.

Some people don't want to spend the money or don't like taking pills, but most of them are getting something out of being sick and really don't want to get well. I find this to be a very common thing, although they deny it vigorously.

Panda mentioned Omega-3's and I agree. Essential fatty acids, like Omega 3, are vital to healthy body function, brain and nervous system health, and you cannot eat enough fish to get them.

The thought that we can get all we need from our food is just silly. To get the antioxidants you need each day you would have to eat 5 cups of raw broccoli...........not frozen, which is worthless. If you are a milk or dairy user, thinking you are getting your daily calcium, you are washing it down the drain. The calcium molecule is too large for you body to recognize it OR absorb it, so you must take calcium and magnesium, unless you are a massive greens consumer. Of course the dairy association will never admit that, but it is true and easily proven.

Now, I have to go take my daily pills.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I am 32 and have candida albicans. Basically, my body cannot digest sugars properly and it stays in my stomach long enough to cause an overgrowth of yeast in my entire digestive system. It's a fairly difficult thing to get rid of, I may never get rid of it. But I must be VERY strict with my diet - VERY low carbs - and I have to take caprylic acid and a probiotic in order to keep my digestive system clean and healthy. I take a multi-vitamin in a capsule form because your body absorbs more if it's capsule versus a tablet form. I can only take one of the two recommended pills otherwise I get nauseous. I'm pretty petite (105 lbs) so I guess if I take too much it's not good for me. Oh and I also eat a raspberry calcium chew from the the local health food store. They taste like Starburst. Yum!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit