The CDC finally updates its guidance, but Biden is still double masking. Quite a message.
If you are vaccinated you don’t have to wear a mask
So President Biden says.
It was the CDC wasn't it?
Ff , both.
I got vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine. Allow me to explain my reasons:
1. History, in particular the Spanish Flu of 1918. They didn't have vax back then, but if they did, a helluva lot of people would have taken them. They masked up back then, and rates of infection plummeted. They didn't have N95's back then, so apparently SOMETHING is better than NOTHING.
2. Even though I'm in prime physical health, I have no desire to end up on a ventilator. No thanks!
3. I get a yearly flu shot anyway. What's one more?
4. History again. Polio, Small Pox? People lined up to get those shots, which were "experimental" at the time. The first polio vaccine was "iffy", but the second one created (dispensed in a sugar cube) was bullet-proof.
This vaccine isn't that different from the standard annual flu shot, just another variant. Science has been at this long enough now, and I waited long to see if anyone had any REAL side effects besides normal flu shot stuff, so that I felt comfortable enough getting it.
5. I've got a Hawaiian vacation coming up. No way I'm quarantining 2 weeks upon arrival cause I'm not vaccinated.
6. I just want to LIVE. We have a known, tested, proven vaccine against this virus. Why play Russian roulette with your life? From where I stand, the positives far outweigh and exceed the negatives of the vaccine vs virus equation.
Good Luck to you all.
Wing, all good !
@Wing: according to NIH studies, masking during the flu pandemic in 1914 had no effect. Correctly wearing N95 masks, perhaps helps, but surgical masks are not intended to stop particles from getting in your mouth and the majority of people does not have or knows how to wear N95.
I agree with you on the majority of the vaccination points. However there are some that have reactions. I’ve been involved both as a subject and part of the team in mRNA vaccine studies for HIV. As a subject, I had 1 reaction out of the 10 shots I got during the 2 year study. There are various permanent issues though that may stem from vaccines, especially for females, given they are still experimental, perhaps waiting is a good idea.
For me personally, relatively young and healthy, my risk at catching COVID and dying is nearly zero, by the time I get to be susceptible, the disease will be long gone. I have the same chance of serious illness and dying of COVID than getting the blood clots from the vaccine, so perhaps I shouldn’t take the chance. I probably also have natural immunity, I’ve had the flu in the last 2 years and working in a hospital and having kids that were exposed, I haven’t caught it by now, I will never catch it. If I do get symptoms I’d rather quarantine for 2 weeks and get natural immunity, I work from home anyway.
If you are at risk, certainly get the Trump vaccines, they are great, they are a scientific miracle. But if you’re young and healthy and you can afford to wait, the Biden admin hasn’t shown much confidence in them either, I don’t blame you, everyone is responsible for their own decisions.
Thanks, Wings for some sanity on the subject.
I know you've mentioned your mom was a nurse.
Looks like she knocked some good sense into you on the medical front.