Much of the Old Testament accounts do not seem to be historical, shows internal evidence

by anointed1 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anointed1
    anointed1

Ezekiel 16 gives a brief history of Israel. Surprisingly, it has no resemblance with what we already know about Israel—their origin and progress as given in the prophecy Genesis 22:15-18 and also in the description that follows.

Ezekiel repeatedly says (16:2, 45) “Your ancestry and birth were in the land of the Canaanites; your father was an Amorite [descended from one of the sons of Canaan (Genesis 14:7), occupied large parts of southern Mesopotamia, and their God was Amurru] and your mother a Hittite [Ancient Anatolian people who established an empire centered on Hattusa]. Things not only did not unfold as foretold in Genesis 22:15-18, but went in opposite direction!

1) On the day you were born you were despised and were thrown out into the open field, …. I made you grow like a plant of the field. (Eze 16:5-7)

2) The splendor I had given you made your beauty perfect (Eze 16:14)

3) But you trusted in your beauty and used your fame to become a prostitute (Eze 16:15)

4) You made Egypt your slaves (Eze 16:26)

5) “In your prostitution you are the very opposite, for you give payment and none is given to you” (Eze 16:34) and became a proverb (mother) for others (16:44)

6) “You will bear the consequences of your lewdness and your detestable practices, declares the Lord” (Eze 16:58)

It is interesting to note that very famous prophets like Ezekiel, Jeremiah … have different accounts to say about very important subjects, but they all have virtually been clouded by other irrelevant details.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Nice bit of research Anointed1! You would have thought that if all scripture is inspired and beneficial, the small historical details would be the easy part to get right.

• anointed1
    anointed1
    GoneAwol

Nice to see you discerned the spirit of my post.

Ever since I noticed contradicting ending of the four gospels (regarding resurrection of Jesus), I made it a point to see more of the sort. I was really awe-struck—there were too many. Thus I made the habit of taking only things that have universal acceptance.

I will give you one sample.

Jesus said: “If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.” (Mathew 5:39) When reached John 18:23 I see Jesus himself is acting against his own preaching: “But if I'm speaking the truth, why are you beating me?

I began to pause and think—hey, That is not possible. What could have really happened is that Jesus may not have said what is given in Mathew 5:39. This makes sense because, think of this situation: someone goes on slapping you on the right cheek, and you go on turning to him the other cheek also. What do you really accomplish? You are only encouraging someone to continue in sin?! Thus one is sinning, and other is encouraging to sin—both are sinning—something Jesus would not advocate.

But see what happens if you return more than what you receive in view of the principle God Himself follows. (Exodus 20:5, 6) You probably succeed in correcting the other person. We have modern example in this regard. Japan attacked Pearl Harbor as part of their aggressive/imperialistic policy—that was their choice, but they could not have chosen its results which were in the hands of US, and US made them reap the consequences [it was like jaws for tooth, not just tooth for tooth—bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima], and Japan learned the lesson: JAPAN STOPPED ATTACKING OTHER NATIONS ALTOGETHER. If such a good result can come to a nation, it is same with individuals too.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Nice to see you discerned the spirit of my post.

Some of us discern the spirit of your post, but don't care about the bible anyway. Point is, not giving a hoot about some biblical post has nothing to do with not knowing or understanding what is being communicated or why.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    GoneAwol - "...You would have thought that if all scripture is inspired and beneficial, the small historical details would be the easy part to get right..."

:smirk:

• AFreeBeliever
    AFreeBeliever

If anyone would like to hear an interesting explanation for alot of this, check out Dr. Michael Heiser's teachings at thenakedbiblepodcast.com. He's not tied to any denomination and I have found him to be very even-handed as well as clearly an educated scholar on the subjects he teaches, and down to earth with a good sense of humor. Been going through Ezekiel with his podcast via iTunes and it's very interesting and informative, very indepth teaching. Prepare yourself for Ezekiel 16.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The Old Testament accounts are just as historical and accurate as any other ancient civilizations' mythological accounts. After all they are just Hebrew mythology and nothing more!

just saying!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Ezekiel, Jeremiah and Isaiah were all false prophets for they all made prophecies that didn't come true!!!!

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Another thing in the old test is the parallel scriptures. The Kings the book of Samuel the chronicles, and other seems to be copies of copies of copies of translations. Is there anyone that remembers that the society takes up these embarrassing duplets of the same texts?? Duplets of the same story, this with all the mistakes the translators have made when wrestling with the scrolls. I think that Raymond Franz did mention the Parallels in one of the first “Aid” editions, but the footnotes disappeared in the coming Aid books

Has anyone tried to investigate these matters…?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit