How do the foreign language Congregations find people to call on?

by UnshackleTheChains 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Ok. I had a fascinating conversation with one of my polish colleagues at work. She knows I'm a jdub and an activist as have filled her in warts and all about Watchtower.

She came up to me today explaining how a couple of polish witnesses came to her door. She was curious as to how they knew to call on her door knowing she was polish. It also creeped her out a little as they skipped other doors and seemed to come only to her home.

I wasn't actually too sure and said that in my experience if we come across householders who speak another language, we could arrange for someone to come back that speaks their language and provide literature in their language etc

I really wasn't sure how the foreign language field works.

So my question is. How do the foreign language Congregations find people to call on? Hopefully I can give my polish colleague a definitive answer.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Simple, when someone finds a foreign language person its turned into the congregation Service Overseer and forwarded to the Circuit Overseer, passed on to people in that territory who speak it and wha-la! Cult invasion.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yes what wasanelder said. They fill out a little slip with the address and nationality and it gets passed on to the relavant congregation service overseer who gives the info to some witness to call on that person. All very creepy and stalkerish.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    All very creepy and stalkerish

Thanks folks. Yeah its obviously legal and above board, but clearly does cause individuals like my colleague to feel a little unnerved by such experiences.

• compound complex
    compound complex

In New York City (Manhattan) and Brooklyn, we Bethelites in the French Congo took the subway and chatted up the French-speaking Haitians. The French themselves showed little interest.

The former were enthusiastic and readily had us over to their apartments. They would invite friends and family over and we had hours-long Bible discussions, and, often, food! It started with about a dozen and ended up numerous congregations and circuits. We even went upstate NY and started new groups, called nuclei.

The Haitians were loving and friendly. We lonely Bethel brothers found our niche.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

The dubs might also just take a phone book and search for family names that are common for the targeted language group (but not for the natives in the country).

And foreign language groups dubs are encouraged to ask any person that speaks the target language for contact info on any others they know that speaks their language.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Yes what wasanelder said. They fill out a little slip with the address and nationality and it gets passed on to the relevant congregation service overseer who gives the info to some witness to call on that person. All very creepy and stalker-ish.

In this case, it might have been the diving board on the septic tank that tipped them off.

• steve2
    steve2

I don't know how different language groups are identified and subsequentky called on. But I do know how deaf people are identified and subsequently called on.

Here in New Zealand there was some negative media publicity a few years ago about JWs writing down the names and addresses of deaf householders sourced during their door-knocking. Theses people subsequently received unsolicited visits from JWs who use sign language.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Foreign language is followed up the same way as deaf people.

I wonder if they have new slip now for gay people.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I was in the Polish group here in Liverpool. It was very successful but the CO decided to end it after about 18 months. Never did get told the reason why.

But our ministry was working in areas with a high Polish population. You'd get the odd English person or Romanian but mostly they were Poles. They tended to take the mags/books simply because they were impressed that you bothered learning Polish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit