Why is it ok for witnesses to go to Church backed hospitals?

by stuckinarut2 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

eyeused2beadub- "They demand religious freedom but do not practice it inside the borg!"

I remember perusing through the Wikipedia entry on JWs years ago (I was still in at the time), and coming across the statement that, while the WTS had proudly advanced the cause of "religious freedom" in the courts, they did not practice it internally...

x

...and was shocked when I realized that I couldn't refute the statement.

One of my little "wait-what?" moments.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

• Kingdom Ministry. November 1964 on page 4.

Question Box: Should one of Jehovah's witnesses go to a religious hospital for treatment and care?

"If a hospital is owned by a false religious organization, then it is operated by a segment of Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion. So those of Jehovah's witnesses who live in an area where they have a choice of hospitals would undoubtedly choose a hospital that is in no way associated with a false religious organization. However, sometimes persons are unconscious and cannot make a choice, or there is no other hospital in the vicinity, or the religious hospital may be the only one equipped to care for the particular thing needing attention. Under these circumstances one of Jehovah's witnesses might go to the religious hospital and pay for care he receives, viewing this simply as paying for services rendered. It would not be the same as making a contribution for the purpose of supporting the false religious organization. Thus, Jehovah's witnesses may go to religious hospitals for treatment and care if circumstances require it and if they choose to do so."

I was pregnant in 1967 and would have had the baby at the local Catholic hospital, but instead went to another hospital in the same city. About the same time, a brother in our congregation was employed at the Catholic Hospital and his wife convinced him that he should quit even though he didn't want to. They ended up moving out of state because he couldn't find any other employment in the area.

It wasn’t long before the thinking changed (I never saw anything more in print) Within two or three years I noticed that witnesses were again working at the Catholic hospital or seeking treatment there. I had another baby in 1974 and delivered in the Catholic Hospital.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit