Signatures on posts

by Simon 11 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

Can I please ask people not to repeated signatures on their posts.

I have PM'd a few people directly with the request as I've noticed them but I guess the inevitable "explain why / show it's fair" means I need to make it publicly to all ...

Everyone's name and avatar is already displayed next to each post made so anything added at the bottom is really superfluous and just reduces readability on smaller devices where screen-real-estate is already at a premium. If the layout is redesigned for mobile devices with the poster name at the bottom then it looks kind-of stupid (e.g. "said Simon - Simon ...")

We've all seem the crappy looking forums that allow unrestricted signatures and they get out of control with bios, links, animated gifs and so on repeated over and over. It applies to all because it can't apply to just some and it's difficult to say "no" to some and not others. I'd like to focus on content and readability so appreciate the understanding and cooperation.

I am going to look at making a "signature" option available in the profile page (similar to the bio) so people who might want to have one and people who chose to see them can do so (but it is the viewers choice). Having it separate will make it possible to have it as a click-to-view feature on small screens. It will help if posts are already aligned with that approach, hence the request now.

Many thanks
    Simon <- for ironic effect

PS. don't worry for the odd posts if you forget / do it out of habit / it makes sense for the context - it's just a minor request which is why I was originally making them directly to anyone involved.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi Simon:

Whenever I see the word "signature," my immediate understanding is the cursive one I sign checks with or close a letter with. By "signature" do you mean the handle or its initials that we use on the forum?

CoCo - for ironic effect and to ask if my forum name is my "signature"?

• Simon
    Simon

It's just any repeated content added to the bottom of all posts. It will help with future changes and make more sense if you read via a phone or side panel on a tablet (any screen-constrained device).

• smiddy
    smiddy

Point taken Simon ,but it`s going to take a lot of self control , believe me.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Ditto what Smiddy said. Never even thought it before.

• stillin
    stillin

Sure. I really don't need to remind myself anyhow that I'm

Stillin

;/

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There will be something lost of those that I see who "sign" with their real names (vs their ID or "handle") and it kind of adds greater meaning to who they are, instead of some "handle". Same kind of thing that happens when you PM a person a few times. You still don't know them, but they don't seem so "anonymous" anymore. Just a little bit of a "personal touch". JMHO

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I am going to look at making a "signature" option available in the profile page (similar to the bio) so people who might want to have one and people who chose to see them can do so (but it is the viewers choice)......Simon

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/mutley-ani1.gif

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Ive got you

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

Been said but again these signatures are really bio's in short if I want to see your bio I should have to click on your avatar, a modal pops and I can read and close it.

There is zero need for a bio to be at the bottom of a post which simply takes up chars and lines.

With Si on this 200%.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit