"Deficit" at JW Assembly

by cookiemaster 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Incognito
    Incognito

Thank you for the explanation regarding food.

WT create a per person rate which is multiplied by the number of publishers assigned.. Any lower amount of donations than forecast will be considered a deficit even when more than the true expenses have been collected. While the per publisher rate will include utilities and consumables, those will be small compared to the 'donation' to be sent to WT, making up the majority of the 'entrance' fee.

Consider that the account report is typically made early in the day. As someone here said, even if the majority of the expected donations have been received, much of those donations may not be reported when the accounts report is made, expecting attendees to dig deeper.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Given that in the UK all the assembly hall accounts are available on line through the charity commission and the scam is obvious it should surprise me that more have not woken up to this. The reality is of course that individuals don't care even when it's pointed out. They are just happy the money can go to the branch.

• freddo
    freddo

K99 - "The reality is of course that individuals don't care even when it's pointed out."

True Dat.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Accounts for East Pennine Assembly hall 2012-2016. http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends77/0000515577_AC_20160831_E_C.PDF

Doesnt seem that much in donations per year to me? Or am I just crap at reading accounts? ( wifey does mine 😋)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes very interesting.

£120,000 contributions, £94,000 expenses and depreciation of £134,000. Seems like a loss. So much for assemblies generating huge income for Watchtower.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    GoneAwol: Doesnt seem that much in donations per year to me? Or am I just crap at reading accounts?

It isn't that much.

It works out to $1065 US or $1333 Canadian per day of operations. (150 days per year, according to document linked)

I have a question. At the assemblies, when a person donates, can they designate the money donated to go to "the worldwide work"? Can I split up my donation? Or do all donations just go to cover the cost of the assembly?

• curiousconfused
    curiousconfused
    K99 - The reality is of course that individuals don't care even when it's pointed out. They are just happy the money can go to the branch.

I think this comment hits the nail on the head. This thread wants to believe that the "deficit" issue is some sort of scandal, because you've all either left the organization or want to. The community of active JW's that continue putting hard earned cash in the box is by and large perfectly happy with that arrangement. No ones knows what you give, so there is no outside coercion. Yes the GB strongly encourage it, but you can just not! Most know that the assembly halls are bought and paid for, and that the per-capita charge largely goes to support the www. Which again most people are also happy with. In the world outside the org plenty of people support any number of charities and causes that may or may not pay huge executive salaries or have poor governance, but we do because we want to. There is no scandal here - just a bunch of people making choices - just different ones to the folks that come here...

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    curiousconfused: This thread wants to believe that the "deficit" issue is some sort of scandal, because you've all either left the organization or want to...

I don't think that "this thread" believes that....or even that that is what this thread is about

I thought this thread was about the WTS/Org's lack of transparency in financial dealings that often leaves those who donate to it in the dark about what is going on.

"You" may be happy with a lack of knowing but there are people who want to know what kind of choices are being made with the money they donate or have donated in the past

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yes that is the point. Just a total lack of transparency.

• curiousconfused
    curiousconfused
    I thought this thread was about the WTS/Org's lack of transparency in financial dealings that often leaves those who donate to it in the dark about what is going on.

Respectfully, my experience is that the general R&F are just fine with things as they are.. and returning to my earlier analogy, most of us dont try and fully research the financial structures of whatever charities we might support.. we just support them - if we want to. Just offering a counterpoint...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit