Could Boris "save the NHS & lives" by BANNING Covid 19?

by BoogerMan 7 Replies latest social current

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

Obviously not, but he could do so by banning an even greater killer - tobacco.

Smoking has been identified as the single greatest cause of preventable illness and premature death in all 4 nations of the U.K.

Annually, in Scotland approximately 10,000 die, in Wales, 5000, and in N.I. 2300.

In 2019 in England alone, there were 489,300 admissions to hospital attributable to smoking, and 77,800 died.

These figures have been virtually identical for the past 12 years, give or take 2 - 3 thousand.

dehttps://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/statistics-on-smoking/statistics-on-smoking-england-2019/part-1-smoking-related-ill-health-and-mortalityaths attributable to smoking.

Almost 100,000 preventable deaths. Why no government action to eliminate tobacco sales? Oh right, tax!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

In the U.K. 7 million people a year live with Cardio Vascular Disease costing the taxpayers 6.8 billion pounds a year. Coronary Heart Disease is the leading cause of death in the U.K. 1 person dies every minute from CHD in the U.K.

Clearly the government should impose through force a ban on eating anything that does not comply with a strict vegan diet. People must live even if their life brings no joy or happiness. It's the most important thing, ever.

I always thought it hypocritical of the Watchtower for disfellowshipping tobacco users, but then not batting an eye when the whole car group takes their door-to-door ministry break at the local McDonald's. Polluting your body, a temple of God, with tobacco - wrong. Polluting our body with 1300 calorie Big Mac, fries, and a Coke - that's quite alright.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I smoke cigars. Started about 3 years ago. Sometimes, its out of habit, will be standing in the cold, rain and wind... won't really enjoy it, and i feel like an idiot.

But then, there are times like this morning, where I go in my yard, and truely enjoy the moment. Comparable to eating your favorite desert.

Logically, I should slow down the amount I take so that it only becomes these moments I truely enjoy. But give up entirely? I don't see the point. Sure there is risk associated to it. There is also a lot of risk in driving to work, swiming in the lac, eating chips, walking a bit too late in the evening in some shaddy area, etc.

My point is: I'd advise control rather than full ban.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I have noticed three entrenched things which exist contrary to logic and which are rooted in hard to shift, socio-historical precedents: private handgun ownership, religious belief and tobacco use.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I am not convinced about the “excessive” cost to the NHS, and to the nation as a whole, that smoking (and gluttony) incurs. And for four reasons:

First, if all those people dying of smoking related diseases (and Big Macs) hadn’t smoked, they would live longer, end up requiring care and would die of other things, all incurring costs that would otherwise have not been incurred, and that should all therefore be deducted from the costs of treating the smoking (and gluttony) related diseases.

Second, tobacco is a heavily taxed product and brings in billions of tax revenue every year. So, if nobody smoked, that revenue would also need deducting from the costs of treating the smoking related diseases.

Third, while smokers (and gluttons) are alive, they still pay into pension funds and National Insurance, and because they die early, the DWP and the pension industry saves huge amounts of pension money they would otherwise have to pay out if those people lived “full term”.

And fourth, they keep the population down, thus reducing the burden on the nation’s resources.

Only by deducting all of the above costs, from the costs of treating the smoking (and gluttony) related diseases can we get the actual cost to the nation that smoking (and gluttony) incurs.

I think there’s an argument for actually encouraging smoking. Tax it to the hilt, allow unbridled advertising, but retain the ban in public places for the sake of those of us who don’t smoke. That way more people would die before requiring long term care, and before collecting their pensions, leaving more for the rest of us. It’s all in accordance with Darwinian survival of the fittest. In the case of smoking, those with the fittest minds.
  • BlackPuddingEater
    BlackPuddingEater

Having just given up tobacco 3 months ago after 35 years of its misuse I am an ardent non smoker now and heartily agree with the proposition. Providing that he makes it legal to smoke a little something something in its place.

Thing is my former fag toking pie-curious lifestyle was not contagious and did not put an unexpected burden on the NHS. Unexpected no but it was unnecessary. The current highlighting in the UK of health and the NHS has spured me on as I think it has done to many. The morning after that nice Mr Johnson (he's from a bastard line of the Hannovarians you know, born to lead) made his polite request that we stay at home while the government pay 80% wages and salaries to a quarter of the workforce, I was on the way to work. As I drove past a llaying field a fellow salad dodger was out doing his Boris jog. I hope he's kept it up, it gave me a smile and a memory.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I think there’s an argument for actually encouraging smoking.

I agree, as a matter of fact I think that smoking should be compulsory. And a minimum amount of tobacco used per day should be imposed. The benefits of population control outweighs any drawbacks.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Whoa, hang on a sec there FedUpJW, we don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water. Making it compulsory would mean we all die earlier, whereas good Darwinian principles require us to target only the weak willed and weak minded. Now here’s a thought, not only allow unbridled advertising, what also employ the services of Cambridge Analytica and target smokers and potential smokers with tailor made pro-smoking propaganda. I reckon that would be sufficient to weed out enough to keep the population stable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit