Proportional Representation vs Electoral Collages

by Simon 109 Replies latest jw friends

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    I think Scotland would fare O.K

You realize this is the whole issue?

I can't base my kids future prospects on a gamble, a maybe...hard facts are required and none support independence.

SBF has already said he discredits government figures.

It's the WT all over again lol?

• Simon
    Simon
    I have no idea why his enemies stick this label on him.

It's all they can ever think of, and I use the word "think" loosely, it's more like Zombies with some behavior that they repeat. It used to be one of the worst things to accuse someone of, but not it's meaningless drivel.

I have a theory, it seems to support the evidence - that people always accuse others of the things they themselves are guilty of.

I think psychologically it's "the worst thing they can think of" because they are guilty of it and scared of it being uncovered, so they accuse others of it (and also hope that serves as a distraction).

The left & Corbyn have the biggest issues with racism, but are the ones always shouting and accusing others of it. Same with Clinton calling everyone a Russian agent.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

The publication from the SNP is out asking for the transfer of power of having a referendum to them.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scotlands-right-choose-putting-scotlands-future-scotlands-hands/

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Staying part of the UK is a risk. And Ireland has fared better outside than we have inside.

SNP won a landslide by any definition and any historical or worldwide comparison. It’s desperate to pretend otherwise.

45% isn’t enough to win a referendum, no one said it was. However:

1. The UK election doesn’t include EU nationals or 16/17 year olds as the referendum did

2. Greens and some others from other parties also support independence

3. The latest opinion poll is 49% for independence

4. We started the last campaign at 30% and finished at 45%

5. Unionists are clearly scared they will lose the next referendum which is why they bitterly oppose having one

Like I say, nothing in history is inevitable, but independence looks pretty likely now. I am sorry you are apprehensive about it. It’s the job of us supporters to try to be conciliatory and bring others along. It’s our country and we all want to make the best of it. Plus we want to get on better with England and our other neighbours.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

1. The UK election doesn’t include EU nationals or 16/17 year olds as the referendum did - quite rightly, I might add. Sixteen year olds have little-to-no life experience, they are typically still at school, they typically are still living at their parents' house, rent-free. And of course EU nationals who aren't UK citizens should be excluded. TBH, 16/17 year olds and EU nationals should have been excluded from the 2016 referendum.

2. Greens and some others from other parties also support [Scottish] independence - do you want to put that against support (either votes or seats) for parties who think the 2014 IndyRef should be respected, at least for the time being?

3. The latest opinion poll is 49% for independence - bwahahaha! You know that 49% is a minority, right?

4. We started the last campaign at 30% and finished at 45% - yep, this is a minority, too. Less than 1.3 million Scots voted for the SNP last week.

^^^ The above points to which I've responded are saturated with David Lammy-style logic and Diane Abbott-style mathematics.

independence looks pretty likely now - not immediately 'right now' ... as I've suggested, in about 10 or 15 years time, it would be reasonable to hold IndyRef 2.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    but independence looks pretty likely now

I disagree and would be willing for Boris to call her bluff. The SNP know, right now, they would lose indyref2.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Not the SNP, but for the Scottish Parliament to have the power to call a referendum
  • cofty
    cofty

Spain rules out an independent Scotland re-joining the EU within 5 years if they were accepted at all. They would also be forced to discard the pound and accept the Euro.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Can't join the EU with a deficit of 7% anyway...it has to be 3%...SNP's own Growth Commission Report advises it may take decades to get it down.

And again only by huge tax rises and massive austerity measures to public spending.

An interesting article on the BBC about this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50822431

I quote:

The Strathclyde University economist adds that the public finances have not gone the way of the independence movement. The Scottish government's own numbers estimating tax raised in Scotland, and public spending, continue to show an unsustainably large gap.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I’ll be astonished if the next poll doesn’t show a majority for independence.

Called it.

Yes 51% No 49% — New YouGov poll finds first majority support for independence since 2015

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/1989519/yes-51-no-49-new-yougov-poll-finds-first-majority-support-for-independence-since-2015/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit