If you still believe, do you go to church?

by ThinkerBelle 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThinkerBelle
    ThinkerBelle

While I'm still finding my journey and figuring out what exactly I believe in, I'm curious to know if others on this board who do still believe in a god attend other churches and what drew you to them. Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, I tried to do a search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Having been born and raised in JWland, how easily do you give up those doctrines that have been so thoroughly engrained? Even sort of celebrating (more like acknowledging, no party) my son's birthday seemed so strange to me because I've never done that, but it felt good to see him smile about it. I've thought about joining another church if I can successfully fade (If I still believe in a God and Jesus when all is said and done); I have a close non JW friend now that goes to a non denominational church and while I know the beliefs are kind of a free for all in that type, they seem to do a lot for and with the kids. I guess I like the idea of a group community that shares the same belief/morals, maybe that's the JW talking, but we hardly ever have "get-togethers" anymore and it just seems sad as my kids really aren't close to any kids in the hall except for two and I'm not very fond of many of the school kids in his class either. At this point, I still think I believe in a creator and I guess my biggest hurdle is "this can't be all there is" so I do still want to believe in something better - my husband and I have discussed this as he's been questioning the existence of god for many years now when I wouldn't listen or came up with a JW reason for certain things. Now that I no longer believe in the JW business model, I'd like to explore my options and see what others have done in finding their faith or finding that feeling of community. It just seems hard to find a religion who's beliefs I could actually ascribe to after everything I've been taught. It seems that those who end up as a witness get jaded and leave faith altogether, but I'm not sure that's my path (a few people I grew up with that were DF and never came back attend other churches, but many have just abandoned it).

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Frying pan and fire spring to mind!
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

I understand the need for community ThinkerBelle, I think JWN pretty much filled that need for me over the past 15 years.

I wish you well on your journey, I just wish I understood your oft quoted phrase; "this can't be all there is"

I honestly find "this" amazing! We're about to taste the waters of Enceladus!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Hi thinker belle! Yes, I joined another church after researching and deeply thinking about each and every doctrine. The Trinity, holidays, 'Jehovah',non fundamentalism, you name it. Then I researched all the Protestant religions and chose one whose general beliefs and mindset most closely fit what I had learned and how I feel. Not that I believe it is the only approved denomination, but simply because I am most happy here. As a church we are close, and I love the feeling of community it brings. It's a mainline Protestant religion but still there is a lot of freedom on what people personally believe about evolution or how liberally or conservatively they want to interpret the Bible, etc. There is healthy variety and it's refreshing not to feel pressure to subscribe to the exact beliefs of everyone else. So do your research and of course avoid anything high control. Sometimes 'non denominational' churches can actually be high control.
  • TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

I wish you much luck on your journey. On your yourney you will have to trust to your instinct. What is really important for youself.

If you like communities, You can be openmindend and you should try out different forms of community. Not only the religious groups. Depending on your interests you could e.g. attend meetings of caritative organisations, what would bring satisfaction and recognition.

If you are very engaged in theology and leading of a community you could try a protestant group where women even can be pastors ;-) The same if you like reading the bible and praying together. Many of these groups are very tolerant and have great group activities with caritative character. It may depend on the pastor in the community.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I do not go to church. I have visited Catholic, Anglican and Baptist but that was only because of someone else, they didn't wish to go alone. I am still a Christian. I have discussions with my family that includes theologians and that is enough for me at this point.

I had little desire to attend the Kingdom Hall all the years that I went having been raised a Witness, nothing to do with not believing I just don't enjoy crowds, or singing hymns or having to be somewhere at a set time. I have no desire to repeat the experience at a new church.

When we stopped attending the Kingdom Hall we had young children they have grown up ok and are well-educated adults and are Christian.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If I miss a Sunday meeting and just watch football, does that count as Church ???

Rub a Dub

• pontoon
    pontoon
    I go to a 100 yr old church down the road 4 times a year......their pot roast dinner, their chicken barbecue, their pancake breakfast, and finally my favorite, their roast beef dinner. They are a little pricey, but well worth it. Just love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit