Food trends/Sweet dreams

by JWdaughter 8 Replies latest social entertainment

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Ok, I like to bake, cook, read and write. My goal, short term is to work on a winning entry for the Pillsbury bake off this year and other food contests. I plan to write, maybe blog about the process.

My small problem with pillsbury is that I am a home baker. My strength is that I haven't always been. I was a young person who grew into this love of baking because I adore bread.

Now though, even if I find an appealing quick Pillsbury product recipe, using a mix galls me, I even soak and cook beans and make refried beans. I'm weird, I know.

From you all in more sophisticated circles, or more foodie ones, anyway, I hope you will suggest any upcoming food trends. We've had the salted caramel, kale, cronut fads, fashions, superfoods.

I am right now exploring Trinidads foods, and Indian flavor profiles. I think food from Trinidad smells better:) I still prefer baking to cooking, but I need a win and this is in my wheelhouse. Suggestions and encouragement welcome!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Cool.

I'm off to read about Trinidad cuisine now. You have me curious.

• millie210
    millie210

If I mull this over maybe I can come up with something better but the first thing that comes to mind is the whole foods movement.

Free range eggs, grass fed meats (not for baking but maybe the lard in pie crusts and such?).

Grass fed dairy milk, butter, cheeses.

You said Pillsbury so I am guessing that is the contest sponsor?

I like King Arthur flours personally,

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Millie, you are a person after my own heart. Organic and natural is not trending in the Pillsbury bake off at last check. They have had gluten free, but that's against my religion, unless it's straight up meat and potatoes. I am thinking about vegetarian or Indian/American fusion, my every day reality. The thing is, I want to win the whole thing, not just the healthy category. Who knows. The biggest limitation is 7 ingredients! Hamburger helper has that.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I've been baking with coconut oil lately. I really like what it does to baked goods,  it comes out tender like Crisco, but without the bad health effects of hydrogenation. Coconut oil is saturated, but it doesn't have the same effect as animal fat. And unlike butter it can be stored at room temperature, so no need to warm it up before using. It does have a very slight coconut flavor, but I actually like that. It makes a yummy chocolate chip cookie, or pie crust or biscuits.

• millie210
    millie210

coconut oil is a GREAT idea!

Only 7 ingredients huh?

Then each one really needs to count....

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Complex spice blends, prepared sauces, compotes, veggie mixes. I can adapt, I like homemade so much better, but hey, my secret vice is Velveeta, so there's a chance:)
  • millie210
    millie210

oh yeah, the tastes buds will vote for velveeta!

You make a good point though in all seriousness....peoples taste buds are very adapted to what they are used to arent they?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Last contest wanted crisco

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit