What’s Your Opinion of Companies That Decide To Stop Doing Business With You Because of Politics?

by minimus 14 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think it’s terrible. If someone wants to believe in a political party they should not be punished or censured because of who they like or what their politics are, right or left.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We certainly made some recent choices based on corporate decisions regarding politics. We no longer shop at Macy's or buy Estee Lauder products (nor have we purchased anything "Nike" for a long time). When such corporations public announce that they spend their profits to support political policies or candidates with which/whom I completely disagree, I am not going to let it be "my" profits. OTOH, I don't care what the CEO's do personally and in fact I would have no way of knowing if they kept their political opinions private.

Similarly, though never a rabid fan of (US) football, I have chosen to NOT watch any game this season. I'll likely watch some of the Super Bowl (because I have biz interests in KC) and need to be "in the loop" to discuss the game when it comes up later.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

People will increasingly opt out of these woke companies. That's why you have things like Parler and Daily Wire but the left then goes for their platforms.

It's why Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg are leaving their companies and cashing out. Their companies have been taken over by the mob, groups of people that aren't even their paying customers are dictating the terms with which they can do business, and they see the writing on the wall. People are leaving Facebook in droves, AWS growth has effectively been stunned and the only direction it can go is down, Google is facing the same difficulties and posting massive losses in some of their divisions simply because people in business are afraid of doing business with them. If you have Facebook or Google or Amazon stock, this is the height of their market value.

I've recently recommended against Amazon Web Services for example because they can, at any point, turn off the system and they've proven a willingness and capacity of doing it. So it's bad practice for any company to rely on those third party vendors that will disconnect you the minute you or your employee makes a comment they don't agree with, and we've seen you don't even have to mean it and you could be as left wing as you want, cancel culture can come to you as they redefine words and dig up an old tweet that doesn't meet the new definition. These are purely technical decisions, as most things in business are, they aren't motivated by politics, but if you can't guarantee me a service and won't stand by a customer of 10 years because someone on Reddit or Twitter is throwing a hissy fit, then you don't deserve to be relied upon.

As a result, major corporations will be pulling out or at least diversifying, cutting the funding to these already underperforming services. Goya is one of the more clear examples, they simply are not bowing to the left and they survived, you'll eventually see this happen over and over again and these corporations will just opt out of the establishment systems.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Well, if your business makes political statements and takes position for a party or another, then, yeah, sure. It makes sense. But otherwise, business should be business.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Some businesses are more immune to economic downturns than most or some even profit more so, but the majority of businesses will hopefully wake up as Slo-Joe and the Ho's policies tank this economy.

• minimus
    minimus

If I wanted a Nike product I’d buy it. But if Nike told me they wouldn’t sell to me because I disagree with certain politics, that is wrong. Is it Illegal though???

• Queequeg
    Queequeg
    My company's motto is that we "specialize in working for nice people". I don't care about their politics, I consider what I call their A-factor (A as in asshole). There are plenty of nice people on either side of the political spectrum. Their money looks and smells the same to me.
  • minimus
    minimus

Q u r rite

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

It is not who we consumers support. The companies will not sell to me as I am black, queer, republican. And not because I want to designate they have to engage in my belief.( cake)

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I will never walk into a Dicks sporting goods store.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit