Your current thoughts regarding the holidays?

by HereIgo 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

We just celebrate the food and the music but not the religious part. We are usually on vacation over the Xmas holidays. I grew up in Germany so we have a small tree and decorations and the special foods I remember. My husband grew up a non-jw but X-mas is not that big any more in his family...too much in-fighting. But we don't spend much on it, no $500 purchases of presents for people who don't talk to us the rest of the year and that are just the non-jws.

When people are caring and loving all year with their family, holidays can be just another time to show that caring. If not, then it is agony that many people try to avoid.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HERELGO:

I was raised Roman Catholic so I had all my holidays and family gatherings and all the good memories that came with it.

Even though Christmas is commercialized as some have said, it's being around people who CARE and love you that is most important.

I am convinced that the Witnesses and their devious reasoning don't want its members to celebrate holidays not simply because of pagan origins (which is just an excuse)...but because they do not want any JW having contact with their "worldly" relatives who love them and are not judging them. The religion is afraid that if a Witness spent enough time around these relatives and non-JW friends, they might no longer want to be a Witness!

This was one of my earlier rude awakenings one Thanksgiving holiday long ago: the Witnesses simply wanted to separate me from my non-JW family and relatives. They didn't give a shit if I was staring at four walls by myself. All they cared about was that I was not with my own family.

What the hell was I isolating myself for?? The f#cking JWs were not around. I could have been with my family enjoying a great meal with good company instead of being by myself needlessly like some nut in the hills fighting a private war.

The Witness religion is worthless and I'm glad it's behind me.

I made sure when I walked away from the JW religion that I celebrated holidays with a vengeance. I reestablished contact with relatives I hadn't seen in years...This was PRICELESS and I am so grateful it was not too late!

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Longhairgal, so happy to hear that you are enjoying time with your family, glad you were able to escape the religion and reestablish contact with your family, I have done the same and its an amazing feeling!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit