JW's Funerals, Forget About The Person! Let's Preach.

by new boy 34 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

God forbid you would talk about the dead person at his funeral

So what do most people get after living 70-80 years?

A 5-10 minutes eulogy. Then the transition statment is "Let me tell you about what Fred REALLY believed in."

The start off in Genesis and end up in Revelation. 45 minutes later your walking away thinking. That's they have to say about poor old Fred's life.

The good new is the speaker gets to can count his time.

As we all know people in the organization are unimportant living or DEAD.

• sir82
    sir82

5-10 minutes eulogy

5-10 minutes? Maybe if you were a popular CO or a wealthy donor.

Most poor saps are lucky to get 2 minutes.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    I agree BUT, it all depends on who you are. We have been to JW funerals where all they talk about is how much the deceased has contributed to kingdom interests. Brother so and so had a large part in getting our new assembly hall. If you're a regular guy you get the standard funeral talk. If you're a big wig you get a true ulogy. We've seen it 1st hand. It's all about who you know and how much money/time you contribute.
  • Heartsafire
    Heartsafire
    Such a good point. So many times throughout the years I've heard of a tragic and/or early death of a dub only to be told that, "so many showed up to the funeral and got a good witness that wouldn't have otherwise." The last time I was told this, I mentioned how many more people would've been reached door-to-door had the dead ones lived out a full life expectancy. That got me some dirty looks. Lol.
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

God forbid you would talk about the dead person at his funeral

So what do most people get after living 70-80 years?

A 5-10 minutes eulogy. Then the transition statment is "Let me tell you about what Fred REALLY believed in."

...........................................Image result for Watchtower logo

.....Image result for Word infomercial..Image result for casket

.Image result for but wait there's moreImage result for Watchtower resurrection

...................................Image result for jehovahs witness logo

.......................................Image result for Join now

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    I bucked that trend - it was unthinkable to me to make it a Recruitment talk.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

Ttdtt

You were one of the good guys. It seems the good guys figure out this cult is BS. Seems to be a pattern.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Yes - I agree. Though some are trapped with very little chance of getting out. Without dire troubles of course.
  • exjwlemming
    exjwlemming
    I completely agree! I had always thought that the org was really tacky by using a "memorial" talk as a recruitment tool. The common talk just gave their name, date of birth, date of baptism (of course), and date of death. Names of survivors had followed with 30 minutes of JW propaganda to interest "worldly" people in attendance. Never knew a soul that came into the "troof" with a eulogy. It is a shame that even in death, the org takes advantage of the rank and file.
  • Poztate
    Poztate

Here is the outline for those who haven't seen it before. I highlighted the personal part of the funeral talk before they swing into cult propaganda

If the complete talk is not to exceed 30 minutes you can see how little is about the deceased.

At a K.H. only the elder has the platform. It is just another public talk and friends or family are denied the chance to take the platform and give any personal thoughts or stories.

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)

Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth

By whom the deceased is survived

Dedication record, including privileges of service

Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED

Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power

Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12)

Appreciated God's purpose regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)

Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4)

Why good people die

Disobedience of Adam (-Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)

Offspring inherited death (Rom. 5:12)

Condition of the dead

Soul is mortal (Ezek 18:4, 20)

Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19; 9:5, 10)

The resurrection hope

Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28)

Christ's resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22, 23)

God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)

For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Rev. 20:4, 6)

"Other sheep" resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10:16)

Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon

Others too are in line for resurrection (Ads 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING

Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual

Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)

Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE

While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)

Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21)

One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)

In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah's name

(Prov. 27:11)

Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will(l Cor. 15:58)

(Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness

concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this regard. Doctrinal points can be

presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to

uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the

bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 102 (53) or 187 (93) is optional. A brief prayer at the close

is fitting When arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the

hope through the Kingdom, reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and

1 Corinthians 15:5413-57. This service may also be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for

the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit