.JW Murdered

by Kenneson 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Phyllis Lockhart of Albuquerque, N.M. had devoted her life to helping the homeless and drug addicts. But someone didn't appreciate her efforts, so they murdered her. This is really upsetting to me since I work at a Soup Kitchen and Shelter trying to help the same type of people.

See "Search is on in woman's death"

http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/news03/081803_news_wanted.shtml

• Robdar
    Robdar

Wow, a JW that actually tried to help out her community in ways other than placing literature. Her death is a tragedy.

Robyn

• blondie
    blondie

I noticed that she had been associated for only a year which explains her loving but dangerous quest which would not be typical of a JW. I wondered if she was baptized.

Blondie

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Search is on in woman's death

By Iliana Limon
    Tribune Reporter

Phyllis Lockhart's passion was working on the streets of Albuquerque, counseling people who were down on their luck.

As a Jehovah's Witness, Lockhart believed she should devote her life to helping homeless strangers find work and kick drug habits, Michele Arviso-Devlin, a Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman, said Sunday.

The more homicide investigators learn about the 44-year-old Albuquerque woman's life, the worse they feel about her death, she said.

"It's clear we lost someone who was very important to this community," Arviso-Devlin said

Three bicyclists discovered Lockhart's body at about 5:30 p.m. Aug. 7 in a ditch on the 4200 block of Second Street Southwest.

Lockhart was found in 2 feet of water. Deputies initially called her death a drowning with the hope that someone tied to the crime would feel safe enough to come forward and identify her. On Sunday, they made it public that they consider the death a homicide.

"Whoever killed her left her in the ditch and took her vehicle," Arviso-Devlin said.

About 10 minutes after Lockhart was found, firefighters were called to Blake Road west of Coors Boulevard Southwest to extinguish a burning car.

They later learned it was Lockhart's four-door Mercury Mystique, a blue and green 1997 sedan.

"It was a deep, hot fire; so we suspect that some sort of lighter fluid or gasoline may have been used to start it," Arviso-Devlin said.

Several people saw an adult black male who was between 5 feet, 10 inches, and 6 feet tall leaving the area. He weighed between 220 and 250 pounds and had a stocky build. The man had short, dark hair, but no visible tattoos or facial hair.

The man was last seen wearing bluejeans, a dark-colored undershirt and green, button-down shirt.

"Witnesses who saw him leaving the area of the car fire said he looked very well-kept and color-coordinated," Arviso-Devlin said.

"They didn't say anything about this person looking like he may of been homeless. So we aren't sure what his relationship could have been to the victim. We really won't know that until we identify him."

While investigators work on the case, Lockhart's congregation is mourning the loss of an energetic leader.

"She was very active in different ministries," said Ernie Chavez, a member of Lockhart's congregation. "She had been active in our congregation for about a year and was very well-liked. She enjoyed going out in the community and talking to about their faith."

Before coming to Albuquerque, Lockhart was in the military. She was fluent in four languages and once worked in the Pentagon as a translator, Arviso-Devlin said.

Lockhart was married but had separated from her husband, who lived outside of the state. Her closest ties to the community were through her congregation, Arviso-Devlin said.

"She was a very talented person," Arviso-Devlin said. "She had a lot to offer this community. So it's very challenging dealing with her death. We're hoping that someone out there can help us figure out why this happened and find the person responsible for her death."

WANTED

Bernalillo County sheriff's deputies are searching for a suspect in connection with the death of 44-year-old Phyllis Lockhart.

Lockhart was found dead in a ditch in the 4200 block of Second Street Southwest at about 5:30 p.m. Aug. 7. Minutes later, her four-door Mercury Mystique was found on fire on Blake Road near Coors Boulevard Southwest.

An adult black male between 5 feet, 10 inches, and 6 feet tall was seen leaving the area. He weighed between 220 and 250 pounds and had a stocky build. The man had short, dark hair but no visible tattoos or facial hair.

The man was wearing bluejeans, a dark-colored undershirt and a green, button-down shirt.

Anyone with information about Lockhart's death can call Crimestoppers at 843-STOP.

Source: Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department

• Scully
    Scully

This is incredibly tragic.

Unfortunately, I am envisioning hearing this tragedy turned into yet another excuse to keep JWs from getting involved in community service. I'd even bet that there will be a talk at conventions using this as an "example" of how Jehovah doesn't protect people whose efforts at community service go beyond the door-to-door ministry.

Love, Scully

• Mary
    Mary
    I am envisioning hearing this tragedy turned into yet another excuse to keep JWs from getting involved in community service. I'd even bet that there will be a talk at conventions using this as an "example" of how Jehovah doesn't protect people whose efforts at community service go beyond the door-to-door ministry.

That wouldn't surprise me, but what about Witnesses that have been murdered going door-to-door? Surely that has happened before somewhere on earth. Was Jehovah not protecting them then? My heart absolutely breaks for this woman. I've pioneered and I've done charity work, and I can tell you without hesitation that I got alot more satisfaction from doing the latter than what I ever did banging on people's doors.

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Mary:

what about Witnesses that have been murdered going door-to-door? Surely that has happened before somewhere on earth. Was Jehovah not protecting them then?

Do you really think that the WTS would use an example of a JW who was murdered while they were engaged in the door-to-door work as proof that Jehovah wasn't protecting them? Au contraire... they would say that JWs have to expect persecution for Doing God's Will™, even if they are killed while doing so, and that such persecution proves that they have The Truth™.

My heart absolutely breaks for this woman. I've pioneered and I've done charity work, and I can tell you without hesitation that I got alot more satisfaction from doing the latter than what I ever did banging on people's doors.

I agree with you. Just remember that the WTS cares very little for what individual JWs find personally satisfying, and is interested solely in statistics: hours banging on doors, literature "placed", getting more Publishers™, more Pioneers™, and more Voluntary Donations™. This woman's tragic end will be used to further that objective.

Love, Scully

• Odrade
    Odrade

I'm with Scully here. I suspect at some point this will turn into an object lesson on why one should devote their time to the door to door instead of "worldly" pursuits. "Only Jehovah can fix this world, why waste your efforts on this system which he will destroy, blah, blah, blah." Bleh.

That poor woman. She sounds like she was a real asset to the community. Tragic.

Odrade

• Mary
    Mary
    Do you really think that the WTS would use an example of a JW who was murdered while they were engaged in the door-to-door work as proof that Jehovah wasn't protecting them?

You're absolutely right, but does anyone know of any examples of when a Witness has actually been murdered going door to door? I'd really like to know...............

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

well said Scully, odrade and Mary

I have nothing to add, you summed it up, perfectly !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit