Fires! "Catastrophic fire conditions" in New south Wales, Australia

by zeb 12 Replies latest social current

• zeb
    zeb

"Catastrophic" is the highest level of fire danger and is current in most of NSW. Temperatures in the high 40's ( C )are being recorded.

Some fires have broken out already. Please keep the fire fighters and these country folk in minds and prayers.

The city of Sydney may face power outs as the electrical system cant keep up with the demand for power. City of Adelaide in South Australia has been so hit in recent days. City of Perth in Western Australia on the other side of the country has had its ..coldest February since 1914 with some rivers busting their banks and flash flooding bridges washed away.

• talesin
    talesin

wow, that is almost apocalyptic!~ I remember a couple of years ago, my Australian friend, SU and his community, were fighting serious fires. I think in WA? Please excuse my ignorance of Australian geography. The fires, with the landscape the way it is (at least in Stephen's part of AU), were quite frightening.

it makes me shudder.

I hope you and all yours are safe, dear zeb.

Good thoughts to all.

• smiddy
    smiddy

And its rather cold windy and has been wet earlier today here in East Gippsland Victoria the southern part of Australia. Its hard to imagine that it can be so hot in another part of OZ

Only yesterday it was well into the 30`s deg.C , as they say in Vic,you can have 4 seasons in one day.

Lets hope we dont have another disaster with the fires like last time.

• talesin
    talesin

Smiddy, that is like Nova Scotia, my home. They say "if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes".

I hope we don't have the bad fires in AU like a few years ago, and to you as well, and all reading, be safe!

xx tal

PS. We are getting a blizzard tomorrow - it's opposite-land! xx

• finallysomepride
  • talesin
    talesin

damn, fsp. I don't come on here much; it's nice to cross paths. I am reminded of a time of interesting discussions with yourself and another Canadian, what was his NAME, it's on the tip of my tongue? His avatar was Paul Newman, and he was also a laid-back thinker (had the Newman 'tude, so the photo was apt, as is yours. 'the thinker', is what runs through my brain when I see your avatar).

Take care, man. ; )

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Hi tal

great to see you, how have you been, I remember you had major health problems.

I too don't interact here much now, I visit most days, but don't comment much, keep up with what's going on in jwland, besides I work long hours, so very tired.

It's that canadian monkey (shamus100) that kept trying to bite my face off LOL

I have not seen him here for atleast 4 years.

Paul Newman avatar, I vagely remember it, but not the monkeys.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Whenever I see fires like this whether they be in Australia California Or Spain or anywhere else on the earth apart from the human loss that can and does occur which does distress me as much as anyone else I am also appalled by the loss of wildlife that must be taken in these fires it must be enormous .

If I could i would now have provided the photo of the fireman giving a Koala a drink of water out of a bottle.

• jwleaks
  • jwleaks
    jwleaks

So hot even the wildlife is friendly. Photo by David McMeekin (ABC).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-12/koala-given-water-during-adelaide-heatwave/8263316

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit