What drives these doomsday predictions?

by ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

"What drives these doomsday 'prophets'

Many include wildly inaccurate readings of the Book of Revelation. Often these pandemic prophets end their predictions with sign-offs such as "IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BIBLE, BUY one!

But some who study religion and prophecies for a living say it's time for these social media prophets and psychics to take a self-enforced quarantine. Doomsayers are harming peoples' spiritual and psychological health, they say.

They're also claiming knowledge that even the most revered figures in religion didn't dare assume. Whenever Ulrich Lehner, a Catholic theologian at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, comes across a social media preacher warning that Covid-19 means the end of the world is near, he's tempted to tweet back this response: "Matthew 24:36.

That's the passage when Jesus says about the end of the world: "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

"Jesus himself said, 'You don't know the hour,' yet some self-appointed prophets today seem to know more than the angels around God's throne," Lehner says.

Lehner says some of the doomsday prophets may be driven by another sin: pride.

"Perhaps in these guys who create mass panic there is also a certain pride, a bloated self-confidence that 'I have some special insight,''' says Lehner, author of "God is Not Nice: Rejecting Pop Culture Theology and Discovering the God Worth Living For."

"If that's not devilish, I don't know what is."

here is the link: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/22/world/doomsday-prophets-coronavirus-blake/index.html

This is so true when it comes to the Gibberring Monkeys! (you know who)

Another Sin 2: Money!!

Zing

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    What drives these doomsday 'prophets'

Fear, fanaticism, a dash of mental imbalance and an extreme disappointment in how ones own life turned out.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

Personality disorders. IMHO

• JoenB75
    JoenB75
    To some people life becomes easier if they imagine there is no time to stop up and think. When reading Charles Taze Russell it is clear this was not a mind that had peace and is convicted by the Spirit. This was a restless and wild soul preoccupied with obsessions
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I think that it's those damn "doomsday" truck drivers drive it!

just saying!

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

fame/status/money too?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is, in fact, the bible that led to this in the first place through the curses on the planet it contains. You want coronavirus? (Or, for that matter, any of the other problems ranging from the flu to tuberculosis)? If so, then go to church. Not only will you be exposed to it more, but your energy will be drained to help joke-hova to take full control of the earth instead of helping you resist or fight off illness.

And, I will simply laugh if there are "Limit 1" signs on displays of bibles for sale. My needs for those books of curses are zero. In fact, to me the bible is one of the very few things that I have even less use for than cancer sticks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit