The Children Act - New arrival on Netflix

by WinstonSmith 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6040662/

As her marriage crumbles, a judge must decide a case involving a teenage boy who is refusing a blood transfusion on religious principle.

I saw the trailer for this a long time ago and its subject matter immediately got me interested. It has just been added the Netflix catalogue here in Australia and I am looking forward to finally watching it.

Please, if you've seen it, no spoilers!

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

This was a dumb movie. It had no redeeming factors, did not address anything about the JW cult and I held out hope till the end of the movie that it would redeem itself. It never did. In fact it was kind of creepy how the Judges character was attracted to a minor in a pedophile kind of way. Unless you want to just waste a couple of hours of your time give it a pass.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have read the book, not seen the Movie. I have also read the comments of the book's Author, he was not setting out to expose the JW belief system as the rubbish that it is, that is our job, he wrote a Novel. But, a Novel based upon a real Case, and he sticks much to the facts of the Case, but of course dramatises the lives of the protagonists.

The sad truth about the real boy in the story/case, is that eventually he went back to the JW's, and died for lack of a Blood Transfusion.

• cofty
    cofty

I have seen the movie in the cinema. It is excellent. Nuanced and thoughtful narrative beautifully told.

Obviously it didn't have enough car chases, explosions and CGI for Jimmy. How the actual fuck he saw pedophilia in the judges' concern for the young man is beyond understanding.

Watch the movie. You won't regret it.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Well the judge Emma Thompson finds herself attracted to the young boys advances. Even the Chauffeur gives her a disapproving look when the kid kisses her and she does not recoil. Maybe cofty needs to brush himself up on what is inappropriate. Also the movie is laborious and drawn out with little in the way of value is comes across like a soap opera and not a good movie. There is little drama even for a soap opera. Thompson and Stanly Tucci have marriage issues and he ends up taking a mistress against the wishes of Thompson. But is done in a way that does not make anyone care. There is no spark in any of the relationships and as this movie plods along its the kind of film that if you watched it at home you would find yourself wandering around the kitchen doing things to keep your attention.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Well, some interesting feedback on the movie! I'm going to check it out and report back...

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Just to say it's a great book, too. Highly recommended by one of my favourite authors - Ian McEwan

JIMMY the whole point is that she was horrified by his feelings (hard to talk without spoilers...)

PHIZZY NO SPOILERS he said

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Not everyone will see the same movie and like it. All we can give is an opinion. Some silly people or children actually like rap even though its crap.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I enjoyed the movie as a whole if you know what i mean ,I think its a big ask for film makers to really know what its like to be indoctrinated over many years as a Jehovah`s Witness and portray it how we ex JW`s would like it to be portrayed.

But I think they did a good job overall.

"Apostasy" was another good one .

"Worlds apart" another good one

If you haven`t seen them do yourself a favour.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I will watch it thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit